Re: Kiddie crap

Sujet : Re: Kiddie crap
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Jun 2024, 06:23:17
On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 02:57:18 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

I'm living in what was farm land 20 (or so) years ago. In Idaho they
keep the irrigation ponds ditches open when they develop land and (in
the summer)
you water your yards or gardens with irrigation water (at about $20 a
year, I think). All the houses have two water systems, city water and
irrigation water. It's too bad Missoula didn't implement something like
that when your farm land was "developed."

When my brother lived in Ogden it was the same deal. There still is a maze
of ditches that are more or less in use. Some ditches and creeks have been
routed into culverts so trying to figure out where they start and end can
be difficult but I don't think the majority of residences use ditch
water,  The aquifer is about 25' down in most places so they're either on
city water or a private well.

(Reading the article I see they were concerned about the level of the
river,
but doesn't the irrigation feed back into the river anyhow?)

That does seem odd. The ditch I'm on feeds back down the road. The place
just before that was abandoned/unused for years meaning nobody ever
cleaned the debris from the culvert under the driveway. That would back
the ditch up enough to flood a blind 25 mph curve to add some excitement.

I'm close enough to the river so there are several osprey nests. I once
found a fish in the yard that I assumed was a little too much for the bird
and it had jettisoned the cargo. They're fish hawks so the guys hovering
around the pasture looking for ground squirrels are hawks or eagles.