Re: Xcape

Sujet : Re: Xcape
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Jun 2024, 14:04:55
candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote at 18:59 this Monday (GMT):
After my rant about switching converting Ctrl to Caps Lock, I decided to
keyboard for a long time.

So I found my poor numbed left pinky finger pressing the back-tick
instead of Esc allatime. Makes vi a little dicey.

So I googoo and I find this:

    https://github.com/alols/xcape.git

I clone it and build it (took about 1 second to build), and it converts
the left Ctrl (including the remapped Caps Lock) into an Esc if released
quickly as defined by a timeout parameter. The C file includes a few X11
header files. Has a nice man page, too.

I will have to see if I get used to it. My poor little overworked pinky!

Am I the only one around here that uses the heel of my left hand
to hit ctrl?

You must have a pretty tall keyboard then. Putting my hand there places
my hand way past the keys.

BTW, here's the command that builds xcape:

    cc -Wall `pkg-config --cflags xtst x11` -o xcape xcape.c
        `pkg-config --libs xtst x11` -pthread

Note the pkg-config calls.

Interestingly, the --cflags version yields no output; the --libs version
outputs "-lXtst -lX11".

--
You've been leading a dog's life.  Stay off the furniture.