Re: Heroic Game Launcher... BRAVO!

Sujet : Re: Heroic Game Launcher... BRAVO!
De : joelcrump (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Joel)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 25. Jun 2024, 03:11:54
Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:

Purchased through the Windows Store and playable through the Xbox or
Microsoft Films & TV (called Movies & TV in the United States). The
deals were excellent, around $5 a movie, and I bought a good number so
you can imagine why I wouldn't be too thrilled about losing access to
them. Still, between that and having every one of my key strokes,
website visits and activities recorded by the state, I will gladly lose
immediate access for privacy. I've been on and off Linux for two
decades, but I think it's finally time that I respect myself and accept
whatever drawbacks I find if it means that my privacy is preserved.

Interesting, I have gotten video content from Amazon Prime Video, but
not the Microsoft Store.  I do think having it via streaming is ideal,
as long as one's Internet is fast enough, I don't use my DVD player,
nor have an optical drive in my computer.

Looking back, I should have continued to get DVDs exclusively and rip
them. After all, after ripping, I can do whatever the heck I want with
the file including send it over to my students if I ran a show in class
and they were absent. The Microsoft-purchased ones are only good to me,
and only if I continue to use Windows or own an Xbox.

DRM is kind of a pain but since I don't want to possess copies of
material it doesn't make any real difference, anymore, I want to just
stream as I have occasion to watch.  It's just a matter of embracing
what current tech allows one to do.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.