Re: Linux Mint 22 Beta

Sujet : Re: Linux Mint 22 Beta
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 30. Jun 2024, 00:28:17
On 2024-06-29, candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 18:28 this Friday (GMT):
RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

If you want to combine "cutting edge" and Linux Mint, this is about as close
as you'll come to it — the first version of a new major point release beta.
It's using kernel 6.8.0-35 and Cinnamon 6.2.2. LibreOffice is at 24.3...
something. I forgot to write the exact release. So, as mentioned in the
subject line, it's currently "cutting edge" but it probably won't be when
Linux Mint 22 is released.

On my computer it's using Xorg. I don't know what it would default to on a
more modern computer. I ran Neofetch and took a screenshot. (This is one of
the wallpapers that currently is included with this LM release named
"Wilma.")

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lod6bGzCJ6-RO-Txt8Q-Fjq9SvMM8Ry8/view?usp=sharing

What I tested worked well. I installed Trelby 2.4.9, which stalled because
it needed ReportLab. Fortunately python3-reportlab was available and easy to
install, and Trelby took right off. So it looks like Trelby will work for a
few more years. (Minor for most people but a big deal for me. And not bad
for an application released in 2012 where the developers walked away from it
in the same year — since it's open source, others upgraded it for newer
versions of Python and associated files, but didn't much else.)

I installed my 2009 Samsung SCX-4623fw laser printer, and Linux Mint had
zero trouble finding the driver. (No driver download required.) Something
that, apparently, Windows 11 can't do with this particular printer. So,
again, Linux Mint allows you to keep older equipment, while Windows enforces
its obsolescence.

I'll probably install LM 22 on my one of my computers and give it a decent
test.

If anyone else is interested in this Linux Mint beta, you can download it
here...

https://mirrors.nic.cz/linuxmint-cd/testing/

Interesting, I don't do betas, but it's good to get a glimpse of
what's coming up.

And feedback is always useful for the devs!

I installed LM 22 on an SSD that I was (not) using for storage and tried it
out for several hours. At this point I don't see any reason not to use it.
But I may run into issues along the way. So far the most challenging thing
was getting Simplenote to run. Linux Mint 22 doesn't install gconf2 by
default, which Simplenote (which hasn't been updated since October 15, 2021)
requires. A short Internet search and I found that I could install gconf2 by
adding this repository...

deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar main universe

...so I guess it was an issue with Ubuntu 23 also (and not just for
Simplenote but for other applications). You also have to add the flag
--no-sandbox to Simplenote, but it's been that way for a while now.
Hopefully Simplenote will get an update one of these years. I guess it's low
priority for Automattic who is better known for WordPress and Tumblr (and
other online applications).

At any rate I'll be giving Linux Mint 22 a good test. It should be supported
until April 2029. (Not the beta, but when it's officially released.)

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."