Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????

Sujet : Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????
De : tnp (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 28. Sep 2024, 13:44:36
On 28/09/2024 11:46, Nux Vomica wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2024 00:13:51 +0200, D wrote:

Do you do restore tests regularly? If not, it could be that you might not
have as many backups as you might think. =/

 Yes.  I will do a random sample on occasion, mostly to satisfy my curiosity.
Never had a problem.
 But most of this data is not critical for me.  I could live without it
or it could be somewhat easily replaced.
 My e-books and music, however, are absolutely essential and must be
preserved.  Fortunately, these collections are only a few Tb and I
simply make new copies from time to time.  I also keep copies on
USB HDD external drives.
 What puzzles me is why hasn't implementing a viable long-term storage
solution become a top priority?  Digital information is here to stay,
likely forever, and we need a way to preserve it forever without muss
or fuss.
Because quite simply slightly volatile storage (SSD) is now WAY cheaper and more bit dense than anything else and is probably at least as good as a consumer written DVD.
So the solution is permanently powered SSDs existing as multiple copies in multiple locations. Where is the original Bible backup kept? :-)
Possibly very large laser burned spinning disks can do 4TB,  but a set of say 4 drives to do it in two places is less than $500
And you simply keep replacing them as they fail with whatever is the latest technology. And copy the data over

 Unfortunately, consumer-grade optical storage technology is in the
hands of grubbing capitalists.  As soon as sales fall by 10% they
will start to leave the market in search of a new fad.

No, it simply isn't something anybody is using any more
YOU want a more permanent high capacity than a tape drive., well that is in fact a hard drive, or a USB SSD or whatever.
DVD simply wont do the capacity,
  Nothing last forever, not even runes carved in stone. Where are the ten commandments now?