Re: Does Dimdows Know What Time It Is?

Sujet : Re: Does Dimdows Know What Time It Is?
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 01. Oct 2024, 07:19:51
On 2024-09-30, CrudeSausage <crude@sausa.ge> wrote:
On 2024-09-30 2:34 a.m., RonB wrote:

I've never had any issues with Linux keeping time, my Linux computers
automatically change on cue with my cell phones. But I just do the standard
install, I don't screw around with it. And it handles daylight savings time
changes on its own. Maybe DuFuS's choice of NTP servers suck. He seems to
have a lot of trouble with Linux that no one else ever has.

Not true, I have it too. I am reminded of how often Linux Mint and
Ubuntu froze during the last year on this machine to discourage me from
trying it again. At the same time, when I conveniently destroyed my
laptop's motherboard one day before the warranty ended and had it
replaced, there is a possibility that I might have replaced what was
causing the issue.

Yeah, but you're trying to play Windows video games in Wine, which adds a
whole new layer of complications. I, personally, don't recommend Linux for
people who play Windows video games. It seems to create a constant stream of
frustration for them.

You have to work
pretty hard on Linux to get it to NOT work. It looks like DuFuS puts in that
needed time.

I disagree. I've repeatedly decided to throw myself head first into an
experience that was solely Linux only to find out that there were going
to be certain issues. I had serious slowdowns and screen tearing in 2013
with gaming, I had random freezes in the last year, I've had
suspend/wake issues throughout and in the last year (the only machine I
owned which never had this problem with Linux is my 2006 Dell). Problems
aren't hard to find. One must really be dedicated to the idea of getting
rid of Windows to disregard them.

Problems are almost impossible for me to find in Linux. But I'm using
standard Dell business machines, running Intel GPUs and not poisoning my
Linux install with Windows Wine crap. So that may be why I have no trouble.

The only real trouble I've had with Linux, on any machine in the last couple
years, was trying to install Linux on an HP EliteBook 8640p with a
semi-locked BIOS (you can get to some of the features). My nephew found it
in a dumpster at work and sent it to me because... (I have no clue). Linux
Mint and Ubuntu install, but they won't boot. Strangely enough KDE Neon
installs and works without issue. So, if someone can explain that one to me,
I would be interested to hear why. If I could get into all the BIOS settings
I'm sure I could get it working on Linux Mint. So, in this case, I had to
work pretty hard to find a (crippled) laptop where Linux Mint wouldn't
install and work on.

And, BTW, the computer goes to sleep and wakes fine when opening and
closing, even in KDE Neon.

--
“Evil is not able to create anything new, it can only distort and destroy
what has been invented or made by the forces of good.”  —J.R.R. Tolkien