Video editor for Linux and MacOS (was: Re: How Microsoft And Apple Lie To You Sheep.)

Sujet : Video editor for Linux and MacOS (was: Re: How Microsoft And Apple Lie To You Sheep.)
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : alt.computer.workshop comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 03. Oct 2024, 10:15:07
On Thu, 3 Oct 2024 07:14:29 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
in <vdlg8l$3l4ku$1@dont-email.me>:

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
They make you pay money for their products, and then, in an attempt to
compete with Free Software, make it seem like they’re doing you a big
favour by offering you even more limited crippleware versions, at a
cheap price or as “freeware”. And you say to yourself “such a deal!”
and fall for it.

AFAIAK Apple only charge for one piece of software: Final cut pro.
Everything else is available for free.

Apple doesn't "make" anyone pay for FCP. Those that do choose to do so
as there isn't a suitable free alternative. What would you recommend?

Black Magic Design's Davinci Resolve is proper.  There is a free version
that will edit up to 4K media (iirc, there's some limit), including
for MacOS and Linux.

One time in the menus, I found a feature where you could change the
interface to emulate other popular video editors.  I don't remember
if it included FCP, but if it's still a feature, I'd be surprised
if it wasn't an option.

Personally, I used kdenlive -- but my editing needs are minimal.

--
-v System76 Thelio Mega v1.1 x86_64 NVIDIA RTX 3090 Ti
   OS: Linux 6.11.0 Release: Mint 21.3 Mem: 258G