Re: Not a request for help, but an explanation?

Sujet : Re: Not a request for help, but an explanation?
De : tnp (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.misc
Date : 11. May 2024, 09:59:49
On 11/05/2024 06:06, Borax Man wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2024 12:59:57 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

On 09/05/2024 11:40, Borax Man wrote:
On 2024-05-08, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
Yesterday, I installed the latest kernel in my mint MATE 20.3 desktop
here. It advised me to reboot, so I selected the reboot option after
closing all programs, and away we went. It rebooted fine and I got a
login prompt, that looked oddly different. I think it had my full name
instead of nothing above the login prompt.

And no matter what I typed in as password, it wouldn't accept it.

Thinking I might have to repair something from a live installation disk,
I decided that at least a hard reboot might be worth trying, and with a
proper power off it rebooted as normal.

Anyone have a clue as to what that might have been?

I am the only user on the system. It's mine, all mine, and one else ever
uses it.

 Oh one other thing, did you encrypt your home folders?

Nope. I am extremely lax on security of that nature. Nothing I do or think is in any way private, valuable or worth stealing.
I am so to speak an open book in the public domain :-)
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.
Peter Thompson