Re: New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux

Sujet : Re: New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
De : rotflol2 (at) *nospam* hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Groupes : alt.2600 alt.os.linux.ubuntu comp.os.linux.misc
Suivi-à : comp.os.linux.misc
Date : 26. May 2024, 08:32:01
On 2024-05-19, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
On 5/19/2024 2:44 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 5/19/24 3:13 AM, SugarBug wrote:
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux

A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.

https://desktop.kerahq.com/

About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.

"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."

Looks nice.  Downloaded, untarred, ldconfigged etc.  This is just a data point for you.

Slackware 14.2 on 13-YO GOOD hardware.  Tried to start it in its own subdirectory.  Got this message:

bb:/stuff/Kera>Kera-Desktop
Kera-Desktop: symbol lookup error: /stuff/Kera/lib/libnw.so: undefined symbol: gbm_bo_get_modifier

Flailed for a while and then deleted the whole thing.

Good luck with the project.

The first hit in Google for that symbol is here:

puppeteer/puppeteer

https://github.com/puppeteer/puppeteer/issues/9669

   "...reinstalling libgbm can solve this problem"

   [generic buffer management API]

And you're on Slack, and maybe this kit wasn't aligned
with a Slack lineup.

Generally, when launching something, it helps to announce
what distro name and distro version it was tested under.
Then, if a person wants to get an initial build that
is "guaranteed to work", we know the success recipe.

Pictures of the desktop, are in-line here, once you scroll
down a bit. You don't need to build anything to look at it.

https://gitlab.com/kerahq/Kera-Desktop

   "Mostly web technologies. Kera Desktop is written in
    vanilla javascript and does not rely on third-party frameworks
    but uses some independent libraries."

   "Does Kera Desktop only support web apps? [Progressive Web Apps or PWA]
    For now, yes. Support for Linux apps is perfectly possible and
    on the roadmap. For other platforms, we will see what's possible."

???  Making a smartphone out of a Linux desktop ? Um...
     I think that's been done already.

And Google has a package so you can install ChromeOS on your PC right now.
I guess somebody likes the ChromeOS.

   Paul

A Desktop Environment based on Web Technologies?  I don't like to
criticise others peoples hard work, but for me, this is a trend I
cannot support at all.  The move to web based everything is a problem,
and this is a step in the wrong direction.

No, just no.