Re: Another tale of Windows idiocy: the mouse scroll wheel.

Sujet : Re: Another tale of Windows idiocy: the mouse scroll wheel.
De : nuh-uh (at) *nospam* nope.com (Alan)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 18. Jun 2024, 20:43:17
On 2024-06-18 07:34, Tom Elam wrote:
On 6/1/2024 6:41 PM, Alan wrote:

On 2024-05-06 22:04, Danart wrote:

Alan wrote:
I'm sitting here, forced to use a Windows desktop (and I'm
remembering
all over how terribly UGLY Windows is) while I wait for migration
complete on my new M3 MacBook Air, and I thought I would reverse
the
scrolling direction on the mouse to be more like what I'm used to.

Now, honestly, I'm quite adaptable as I work with lots of different

systems, and have to simply roll with whatever my client at any
moment
uses, but...

....I assumed this would be an obvious control to have somewhere in
the
broken mess that is Settings and Control Panel mouse settings.

I opened Settings...

....checked the various things you change about the mouse there...

....and... ...nothing. Nothing useful to this case anyway.

Then I remembered that Microsoft's settings for the mouse are
idiotically broken across two different interfaces, so I checked
Control
Panel...

....and still nothing.

So I check online and would you look at that:

The only solution to changing the scrolling direction of the mouse
in
Windows is...

....TO CHANGE THE REGISTRY!

Just buy a wireless mouse +
keyboard combo like the ones from logitech and so many other choices.

So just buy a product to get around an obvious and idiotic shortcoming
in Windows.

Got it.

To be fair, you have to buy products (apps) to make macOS behave like a sane
desktop as well.

Give me an example of an inconsistency or idiocy as large as needing to use the registry to change the direction the mouse wheel scrolls.
 Guess who is back?Alan has never learned that Windows supports a very wide variety of hardware, and much of that hardware has it's independent settings. My Logitech wireless mouse has it's own settings panel, Logitech Options. Open that, click on the mouse, Point and Scroll, Scroll Wheel Direction and you can change it.
That's not the point.
Interpreting the mouse wheel is something that happens in Windows itself.
The fact that you can change it using the registry proves that.