Re: So Long

Sujet : Re: So Long
De : recscuba_google (at) *nospam* huntzinger.com (-hh)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 20. Jun 2024, 17:15:56
On 6/20/24 2:00 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote at 22:35 this Tuesday (GMT):

On 2024-02-08 13:38, -hh wrote:
On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 3:19:26 PM UTC-5, ed wrote:
(and thanks for the fish?)

So Google groups is shutting down new posts, which will pretty much
finally kill this group
once and for all (for the 3 regular participants, but maybe a few
others still lurking out there).
It's been an interesting multi decade(!) ride with you guys. Best of
luck out there. ;)

You too, ed.

I've found the iOS Newswatcher app is free for two groups, which
combined with Eternal September
for hosting is a 'lousy UI but free' solution.   For MacOS, there's
Hogwasher, which IIRC they want
$35 for.  Still debating what other software might be worth trying or
not...in any event, hh@ is a direct
email to me if you're inclined to drop a private line...I'll provide
pics of the soon-to-be new ride!  <g>

-hh

I've been using Thunderbird fairly successfully. There is some weirdness
where it stops communicating with Eternal-September until I quit and
re-launch it.

Yeah.. I think it happens if you leave it open too long?

I had that problem with Thunderbird too. But I am not using Eternal September.
  It would just lose the connection after a few minutes. Close and restart and
its fine again for a few minutes.  Plus Thunderbird is unuseably slow on my
old 2014 Mac Mini. As in it just locks up for no reason.

For these (and other bugs/problems) I gave up on Thunderbird and bought
Usenapp. It is lightning fast on the old Mac Mini. No connection problems. In
fact, no problems at all.

I've said it before and I say it again. Thunderbird is shit software. Yes, its
free. And worth every penny.
  Yeah, I had a lot of frustrations with TB/BB. That's why I switched to
slrn.
I've not really had any problems with it, but I'm not particularly demanding on USENET this past decade.  Similarly, I don't recall doing any of the SSL Certificate stuff that Tom mentioned .. although it is possible that the task he's complaining about was so trivially easy that I simply forgot about it.
-hh