Re: Has all the data disappeared off my old core2duo iMac?

Sujet : Re: Has all the data disappeared off my old core2duo iMac?
De : singularity (at) *nospam* blackhole.org (Alan Browne)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 10. Jun 2024, 16:16:49
On 2024-06-10 09:40, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
On 6/9/24 7:40 PM, Percival John Hackworth wrote:

Sounds like a dead or dying hard drive.

Install a new disk into the machine and reinstall MacOS from the network
(command-R from boot).
Attach the old drive to the system with a USB cable. Amazon sells ones from
Sabrent but there are others.
When the new install asks if you want to migrate from another machine, select
the old drive as the source OR use your latest Time Machine Backup.

Thanks guys! I kinda knew that was the position, - I was just hoping that I might have overlooked some option for reading what was on the drive.  But short of re-building whatever the Master Boot Record is called on a Mac, I do accept that this is unlikely.
 I'm pretty sure this is just a backup computer and whatever is on it is somewhere else as well so it just isnt worthwhile spending too much time getting it working.
 I also agree that this whole situation only arises because the drive is on it's way out and the computer urgently needs throwing away,  rather than wasting time pulling it apart to put a new HD in it
What year is the computer? That it wants to "El Capitan" suggests 2015 which (to me) is not an old computer.  Core 2 Duo suggest closer to 2010 if not older...
It could be (with a new drive and install) a great starter Mac for someone out there with modest computing needs.
--
"It would be a measureless disaster if Russian barbarism overlaid
  the culture and independence of the ancient States of Europe."