Re: phone migration

Sujet : Re: phone migration
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.sys.mac.system comp.mobile.ipad
Date : 19. Jul 2024, 18:51:24
badgolferman wrote on Fri, 19 Jul 2024 16:28:15 -0000 (UTC) :

To that end, Alan Baker is so ignorant about iOS that he is unaware
that if the app (or the exact version you liked) is no longer on the
App Store, then there is no way to install that app (or version) onto
your new device.

At one time iTunes allowed you to save and reinstall apps from your
phone regardless of whether they were still on App Store.  Then they
took that capability away.  I complained about it in the group and it
was nospam who directed me to an older version of iTunes which still
did that.  I think iTunes also allowed you to rip songs from CDs and
put them on your phone.  I have the installation program in my
Downloads folder but haven't had to use it yet.  I really don't want to
install that monstrosity which makes itself default for so many Windows
PC functions.

I enjoy conversing with you as you can communicate like an adult would.
Like you, I have nothing invested in any mothership but, like you, I choose
the best combination of companies (e.g., T-Mobile) and hardware.

I understand your concern about iTunes, as one of my worst experiences with
Apple's horrible unnatural punitive restrictions on functionality was when
Costco had an iPod sale - so I bought my first iPod (of which I have many).

My first delight was the iPod was tremendously easier to use than the
Panasonic MP3 player I already had (for less than 1/3rd the price).

But my major disappointment was that I needed to install the iTunes
abomination on Windows just to initialize that iPod - and worse - I
couldn't easily copy my library of thousands of MP3s over to that iPod.

The iTunes abomination wouldn't easily allow me to maintain multiple
libraries which is unlike any software I had ever seen then or since.

WTF? What is Apple's problem?, I thought. The damn iTunes even wiped out
completely my library a few times - that's how atroicious iTunes was.

Googling for how to populate an iPod like a normal human being (and not
like an Apple zealot), I found the SharePod freeware & it was instant love!
 <https://i.postimg.cc/MT0CxMbZ/ipod007.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/rsj2G0KZ/ipod006.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/7hwyTMYT/ipod005.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/25LmpSK3/ipod004.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/RZF4RR17/ipod003.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/hPMKTwm4/ipod002.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/jdRsWKLk/ipod001.jpg>

With SharePod freeware, you didn't even need to install it on Windows.
Yup. You don't install it. You just run it off of the iPod.

Fancy that!

When you connect the iPod to Windows (without iTunes installed), you click
on the SharePod executable sitting on the iPod, and it runs on WIndows.

Then you just slide MP3s from any number of iPods to and from any number of
PCs without knowing or caring which "AppleID" is registered to anything.

SharePod worked like normal software (until Apple bought them out).

By way of comparison, the iTunes abomination of bloatware added so much
crap (QuickTime for example) and so many services (Bonjour for example)
that it was a horrid mess - and worse - the iTunes abomination REMOVES
functionality since when iTunes was installed, it stopped SharePod working.

At the time, I asked for help on the Apple newsgroups and that's when I
found out how sadistically disgusting those like Jolly Roger & nospam were.

They repeatedly denied everything about iTunes, brazenly lying that it does
what anyone who has ever used iTunes knows it doesn't do - and they even
denied that it breaks the wonderful SharePod freeware beautiful connection.

The fact is, when you install iTunes, you *lose* sharing functionality.

Ask me how I know this:
  <https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

Note: The uneducated ignorant zealots know NOTHING of how Apple products
work, let alone how normal products work, which is why I can understand you
completely when you talk about iTunes; but the low-IQ zealots can't.

Anyway, back to the topic, perhaps the most brain-dead component of the iOS
ecosystem is how horridly primitive IPA backup and restore capability is.