MEDIA: Rethinking My Economics

Sujet : MEDIA: Rethinking My Economics
De : groenveld (at) *nospam* acm.org (John D Groenveld)
Groupes : misc.immigration.usa
Date : 26. Mar 2024, 13:31:22
Princeton.EDU's Angus Deaton on whether Susie Wiles sees signs in
her polling of legacy American proles that might be convinced to
cast a vote for Donald Trump that they seek a tribune against the
Cheap Labor Lobby's war to dispossess them and their posterity:
<URL:https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/fandd/issues/2024/03/Symposium-Rethinking-Economics-Angus-Deaton>
| I used to subscribe to the near consensus among economists that
| immigration to the US was a good thing, with great benefits to the
| migrants and little or no cost to domestic low-skilled workers. I no
| longer think so. Economists' beliefs are not unanimous on this but
| are shaped by econometric designs that may be credible but often
| rest on short-term outcomes. Longer-term analysis over the past
| century and a half tells a different story. Inequality was high when
| America was open, was much lower when the borders were closed, and
| rose again post Hart-Celler (the Immigration and Nationality Act of
| 1965) as the fraction of foreign-born people rose back to its levels
| in the Gilded Age. It has also been plausibly argued that the Great
| Migration of millions of African Americans from the rural South to
| the factories in the North would not have happened if factory owners
| had been able to hire the European migrants they preferred.

Does Casey DeSantis lament that Ron failed to win the support of David
McIntosh's Club for Growth to buy advertisements on Lachlan Murdoch's
FoxNews.COM with the likes of Mike Emmons warning legacy American
proles that Donald Trump will sign bipartisan comprehensive
immigration reform legislation passed by the likes of Mike Johnson
and John Thune so long as the Cheap Labor Lobby authors include the
magic words: "merit based"?
John
groenveld@acm.org
--
"The usefulness of the fake outrage from Team Trump over the
DeSantis memes is that you get to see who is being paid, who is