MEDIA: The American Nation: Ethnogenesis

Sujet : MEDIA: The American Nation: Ethnogenesis
De : groenveld (at) *nospam* acm.org (John D Groenveld)
Groupes : misc.immigration.usa
Date : 02. Apr 2024, 12:40:27
Lafayette Lee and Darryl Cooper for IM-1776 on whether Susie Wiles
has detected in her (or Bill Stepien before her (or Brad Parscale
before him)) internal polling for Donald Trump that legacy American
proles are skeptical of America's ability to assimmmilate the top N
quintiles of the 8+B globe and the culture that those immigrants are
asked to assimmilate into:
<URL:https://im1776.com/2024/01/18/the-american-nation-ethnogenesis/>
| I tend to believe that everyone is assimilable if the native
| population is confident enough to apply appropriate pressure, but
| Ramaswamy provides an example of this definition of assimilation.
| During my time working in East Africa, I had the opportunity to work
| with a lot of Somali translators. All of them lived in Minnesota and
| had been brought to the United States as children by Catholic
| charities. Every one of them hated the terrorists they helped us
| hunt, none of them were compromised by split loyalties, and they
| knew and appreciated what this country had done for them and their
| families. They were solid Americans, but they weren't really
| Minnesotans. They were able to assimilate into the mass culture -
| that is, the liberal culture of New York City and Hollywood - but
| even the most Americanized among them had not assimilated into any
| local culture. Mass culture, however, cannot sustain a personal or a
| community identity, so they did what anyone would do, and continued
| to identify primarily with their ethnic group. The combination of
| American liberalism and ethnic identification manufactures the kind
| of people we see disrupting college campuses, chanting Hamas
| slogans, and defacing statues of American heroes. Have these people
| really assimilated? Well, yes, in a way, their behavior is as
| American as apple pie, and this is a fatal flaw in the civic
| nationalists' program.

Does Wiles believe any Republican has a path to WhiteHouse.GOV without
running to Trump's right on the National Question?
John
groenveld@acm.org
--
"It was in part a cynical, in part a pedantic-academic reaction to
Trump's destruction of the old line GOP and to his winning of the