Re: [OT] Former top CBC journalist says she no longer watches TV news

Sujet : Re: [OT] Former top CBC journalist says she no longer watches TV news
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 10. Mar 2024, 22:55:40
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 00:24:09 -0800
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:11:40 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

I am shedding no tears either. I can hardly wait until Poilievre is
PM so that he can finally do something about the CBC. I've heard
differing stories about what he's going to do so I need to keep my
expectations in check but I'm hoping he does at least a major
housecleaning so that it is run by sensible people instead of
wokesters. The current bunch can even bring themselves to call Hamas
fighters terrorists. A full defunding/privatization may be too much
to hope for but I'll be very happy if he does that. He also
absolutely has to ditch the $600 million/year subsidy to the
mainstream media and start treating the smaller independent
operations as terrorists. Trudeau's treatment of Rebel News has been
disgraceful.

I would not want to see the politicians disband the CBC but no
question they have a sense of entitledness towards their federal
funding. Concerning your HAMAS comment surely you mean CAN'T not CAN?

I certainly did mean "CAN'T"! Sorry, I really am lax on proof-reading
my posts....

I'm not sure what you mean by your comments on the 'smaller
independent operations" though no question the social media companies
have been drawing a huge portion of the Canadian media advertising
markets. It is how astonishingly small the Vancouver Sun newspaper is
now compared to what it was - it used to be the biggest English
language Canadian newspaper outside Toronto but is a shadow of what
was.

I'm talking about smaller outlets like Rebel News and True North that
deliberately chose NOT to take any of that $600 million so they could
stay independent. Otherwise, there would at least be the appearance that
they were taking a bribe to be gentler on the government than they
might otherwise be.

I don't doubt that traditional media is dying. Newspapers have been
circling the drain for years and I imagine TV news has seen better days
too. People finally have a lot of choices instead of just the local
newspaper or TV station when they want to know what's going on and
they're talking advantage of that. I certainly do.

Mind you, multiple choices aren't really a new thing either. Anyone who
had cable probably had access to news from many markets. I know my
mother had some of the US superstations, including one in Seattle,
which is a long way from here. Of course the local news in Seattle
didn't much interest her but she could have watched the national and
international news from there if she'd wanted to. (And maybe she did.)

The internet just expands all that. I watch news and news analysis from
any number of news sources and newspapers in a variety of countries.
Ditto for documentaries. Why would I tie myself to one news source and
their biases?

--
Rhino