Re: The Gentlemen

Sujet : Re: The Gentlemen
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 19:47:27
On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:35:50 -0400
EGK <memyself@null.net> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:59:08 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

I just watched the first episode of The Gentlemen, which Netflix
dropped today, and thought I'd put in a good word for it. I'll be
brief and avoid any major spoilers.

A British captain serving in UN peacekeeping forces on the border
between Turkey and Syria gets word that his father is about to die.
He rushes home and it turns out that he is the younger son of a very
wealthy Lord. His father dies within minutes of his return (of
natural causes). At the reading of the will, a very surprising
development launches the story. Essentially, an attempt to help his
elder brother with substantial debts faces one hurdle after the next
that involves Rather Bad People.

The lead is Theo James who is not well known on this side of The
Pond, although he did put on an American accent to star in a
short-lived cop show, Golden Boy, a few years back. He's been in a
bunch of other things I haven't seen but you may be familiar with,
like several Divergent films, two Witcher films, Sanditon, The Time
Traveler's Wife and The White Lotus. Vinnie Jones is in the cast as
well; I remember people being excited about him being in Gallivant.
The others are British character actors or people I've never seen in
anything.

It's full of surprises so far so I'm going to stick around to the
end unless it turns awful. There are 8 episodes altogether with
episodes ranging in length from slightly over an hour to 43 minutes.
I have no idea if there are plans to make additional seasons if it
is successful.

Did you finish The Gentlemen?  I'm currently on episode 6 and like it
quite a bit.  Always been a fan of Guy Ritchey's movies about the UK
underworld. Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels are his
most famous in this genre I think but I really liked The Gentlemen
movie too.  This TV show took the title but is only loosely based on
it.

Yes, I finished the final episode a couple of days ago. I hadn't seen
the movie so can't compare the two. I have seen some of his other
films, including the two you mentioned and liked them. I also enjoyed
the TV version of Snatch and was disappointed when it ended after just
two seasons.

After being a big fan of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, it's
amusing seeing Giancarlo Esposito in a supporting role playing a
former kingpin in the meth trade.

I should have mentioned his role in the original post since he's one of
the few people in it that would be familiar to most North Americans.

I won't say any more until you've watched the whole thing.

--
Rhino