Re: OT: Question for Anim

Sujet : Re: OT: Question for Anim
De : gmsingh (at) *nospam* email.com (trotsky)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 10:50:08
On 3/12/24 2:54 AM, FPP wrote:
On 3/11/24 11:55 PM, shawn wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:00:11 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

Anim, as someone who has worked in the TV/Film industry I'd like your
serious opinion on something.  Elsewhere I'm involved in a discussion
where we are wondering how Apple can get away with the prices it charges
and is there anything it actually does better than a high-end PC.
Someone suggested video and audio (music) work.

My understanding is that what Apple excels at is marketing and getting
their various products to work well together. So everything just goes
smoothly when you buy a new Apple product while getting a new Android
or other product to work well with Windows can take some finessing.

Also as you brought up Apple has long been known to be good for
video/photoshop and digital audio work. I think Windows has products
that, again, are as good as Apple but they tend to be better
integrated on the Apple platform.

That said that Apple tax is too much for my blood. I can see it if you
need the integration AND can write it off as a business expense.

So my question is what would you use now for video and/or FX work?  And
why please?
  If you like shit that's built well, and built to last, you pay for the privilege.

That's the plus side.  The minus side is their propensity for proprietary connections that turn out to be a pile of shit for the users, with totally stupid fucking names to boot: tell the peeps about the fates of "firewire" and "lightning" cables.  Having their stuff made by 14 yr old kids in China isn't too cool either. But I'm using my Mac Pro as I type this, so they must be doing something right.

I've used both, and I've only had ONE issue with my Mac... and that stemmed from a bad 3rd party RAM stick.
 Our windows machines routinely had to be worked on by our IT department, but only had to work on the Macs twice in almost 20 years
We would routinely had to reinstall Windows at least once a year.
 Never had an issue with any of our iPhones either.  The only time we replaced than was when we WANTED to.
 We NEVER reinstalled a MacOS.  Their shit just works.
You get what you pay for.