Re: As If Being Expected to Tip for Everything Wasn't Bad Enough...

Sujet : Re: As If Being Expected to Tip for Everything Wasn't Bad Enough...
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 17:17:38
On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 06:21:16 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:33:48 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

Now the robot at the automated convenience store wants a tip, too.

You go in the store, there are literally no employees anywhere, you pick
your item off the shelf, take it to an available self-checkout register,
scan it,swipe your card, and you're presented with a screen that asks if
you want to leave a tip with various amount choices, starting at 20%.

Leave a tip for who? There are no employees here. Am I tipping the
corporation that owns the store? Because hell no.

Leave a tip for what? No service was provided to me. I did literally
everything myself.

The store is literally just a giant vending machine. I wonder when those
are going to start asking for tips, too.

You are tipping the employees that are restocking the shelves and
those in security watching you on the camera.

IOW, for doing their _job_.

At the lake great, Don and Charlie’s restaurant here, they had an obnoxious
teenage kid whose entire job was to hand you the bag of food when you
picked up a to go order. And then he stood there, literally with his hand
out, waiting for a tip. Made my dad crazy. He never tipped him.

I agree with your dad's decision. That said I can't blame the kid for
trying to get more $$ as I'm sure some people tipped him. Shouldn't
have been so obvious about it as it was bound to turn some people off.
I guess that's why we see tips being asked at all sorts of places
where it never was before and where it makes no sense (as in the self
checkout that BTR mentioned.)

If people are accepting tipping for everything then why not try asking
for it. In a way I'm glad for it as it may finally get people
motivated enough to demand a change so tipping goes away except as a
reward for exceptional service. It's one good thing about my local
grocery store, Publix. They pay their employees well and so there is
no tipping.