Re: Whoopi Snaps At Trump, Says If He Touches Entitlements, "We Could Put You In Jail"

Sujet : Re: Whoopi Snaps At Trump, Says If He Touches Entitlements, "We Could Put You In Jail"
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 14. Mar 2024, 02:29:59
Crosspost to newsgroups Ubi doesn't read cut.

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
atropos@mac.com wrote:

Jeezus Christ, I can't believe I actually agree with Hoo-Pie Goldberg on
something.

She's right. Social Security is not an entitlement program the way that
term is used to describe government welfare schemes. You're not getting
paid someone else's money merely for existing. You're being paid back
money you were forced to pay into a system to save for your retirement.
Yes, you're entitled to it, the same way you're entitled to your own car
or your own home. But it's not an 'entitlement program', which is just a
fancier and less pejorative term for welfare.

Actually, we are not entitled to SS benefits.

Does that help you feel better?

Yes, we are entitled to it. It's our money. Not the collective "people's
money" that income tax becomes. SS benefits are our money, not the
government's.

Does that help you feel better?

I feel that I am entitled to government policies that don't do economic
harm, but Congress feels otherwise.

I also read that Roosevelt wanted taxpayers to have individual accounts
that paid interest, I guess a '30s verions of IRAs, but allies wanted
the pension to be received by poor elderly, so that fucked things up
right from the start.