Re: Selected programming for March 20-22, 2024

Sujet : Re: Selected programming for March 20-22, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 17. Mar 2024, 05:45:20
On 3/16/24 7:52 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

RM: The second half of the week.
           Wednesday, March 20
       Streaming:
  Palm Royale     [new]       (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
 Apple's new 1969-set comedy about a woman (Kristen Wiig) striving to gain entrance into Palm Beach high society is based on the book Mr. and Mrs. American Pie by Juliet McDaniel. Along with Wiig, cast regulars include Laura Dern, Allison Janney, Ricky Martin, Leslie Bibb, and Josh Lucas, while guest stars include Carol Burnett and Bruce Dern. 10 episodes; the first three are available today, while the rest follow once weekly through May 8.
Impressive cast list. But I doubt it's my thing...

X-Men '97        [new]        (3:01 am, Disney+)
 Disney's latest Marvel title offers comic book fans something a bit different than the streamer's somewhat lackluster recent MCU entries. In fact, it's not part of the MCU at all but instead a revival of Fox's 1990s cartoon X-Men: The Animated Series, picking up right where that series ended in 1997—with the death of Professor X—and returning some of the original voice cast. Season 1 will run for 10 episodes, and a second season has already been ordered, though series creator Beau DeMayo was fired earlier this month after completing scripts for the second season. The original series is also streaming on Disney+.    Two episodes are released today, with the rest following once weekly through May 15.
In the parallel universe where I don't have to work, and have unlimited time, I would have (re)watched the original 1992-97(?) X-Men animated series (I saw part of the original, but certainly not every episode), and then followed that up by watching this.
But I don't live in that universe...

     Broadcast and cable:
  Danger on Party Island     (movie)        (8 pm, LMN)
 When an introverted lawyer travels to an infamous party island to collect her estranged sister’s body, she becomes suspicious of foul play. With reluctant help from a local bar owner, she begins to unravel the circumstances of her sister’s accident and starts to believe she could be next. Stars Lindsey Dresbach, Adam Harper, James Bobo, and Kate Dailey.
 [A rare Wednesday night premiere on LMN. The LMN schedule lists several other premieres this week, but only this movie and "My Father's Murder in Greece" on Thursday night are true premieres; the others have appeared on the Lifetime Channel.]
 https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/danger-on-party-island
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26455960/
It's "Spring Breakdowns" - it's an annual thing on LMN: they run "5 premieres" during the mid-week in March, though only some of the 5 (usually only 2) are "real premieres" (the others are just "LMN premieres").
Anyway, looking forward to this one!

Wild Cards       (season 1 finale)        (8 pm, CW)
I'll try to remember to catch it on the following Monday...

         Thursday, March 21
       Streaming:
  Road House        (movie)         (12:01 am, Prime Video)
 Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow, The Bourne Identity) directs a streaming-only remake of the 1989 Patrick Swayze-starring cult classic. The new film, which deviates a bit from the first one, has been in development for over a decade. Jake Gyllenhaal essentially takes over the Swayze role and plays a former UFC fighter now working as a bouncer at a Florida Keys dive bar. Billy Magnussen, Jessica Williams, Darren Barnet, Lukas Gage, Arturo Castro, and actual UFC champion Conor McGregor (in his film debut) also star.    2h 1m.
I will probably check this out at some point...

3 Body Problem        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
 The new series from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss—here teaming with writer Alexander Woo (True Blood, The Terror)—is an adaptation of the wildly popular sci-fi book series Remembrance of Earth's Past by Chinese author Cixin Liu that traces events following mankind's first communications with extraterrestrial intelligence.  How will this English-language adaptation tackle a story that features mostly Chinese characters and eventually spans many centuries? The latter question remains to be seen—Season 1 looks like it is sticking with the Hugo Award-winning first book, which begins in the 1960s and doesn't head too far into the future. But casting appears to have an international emphasis, with stars including Rosalind Chao, Benedict Wong, John Bradley, Eiza González, Liam Cunningham, Jess Hong, Jovan Adepo, Saamer Usmani, and Jonathan Pryce. Eight episodes.
I'm not necessarily hearing great things about this...

Paradise      (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
 When corrupt officials cover up the murder of Ella’s father, she cuts a swath through the anachronistic underbelly of her small island town. Stars Patricia Allison, Tate Donovan, and Tia Carrere; 1h 23m.
If this is a "revenge flick", I might be interested...

     Broadcast and cable:
  My Father's Murder in Greece       (movie)       (8 pm, LMN)
 When Allie’s father George takes her on a celebratory trip to Greece to discover her familial roots, George soon ends up murdered and Allie must uncover long-kept family secrets if she’s going to bring the killer to justice. Stars Cass Huckabay, and Maeve Quinlan.
Intending to watch (or at worst record) this...

         Friday, March 22
       Streaming:
  Davey & Jonesie's Locker        [new; complete season 1]        (12:01 am, Hulu)
 The original series follows Davey and Jonesie, two lovably eccentric best friends who have always felt out of step with their peers and the banal backdrop of their high school existence. So, when they discover their locker is actually a portal to the multiverse, they’re more than ready to escape their teenage prison of mediocrity in favor of new horizons. But the joke is on them when they only end up in bizarre, alternate versions of their high school, surrounded by offbeat versions of their classmates. Fortunately, these audacious and creative besties are ready to make the most of this vacation from reality by leaving their mark on every universe they visit...even if it means choosing interdimensional chaos while they’re at it. 10 episodes.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDJqSojwoE
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28082724/
Canadian. And starring no one you've ever heard of...

Anatomy of a Fall [Anatomie d'une chute]      (movie; streaming premiere)       (12:01 am, Hulu)
 For the past year, Sandra, her husband Samuel, and their eleven-year-old son Daniel have lived a secluded life in a remote town in the French Alps. When Samuel is found dead in the snow below their chalet, the police question whether he was murdered or committed suicide. Samuel's suspicious death is presumed murder, and Sandra becomes the main suspect. What follows is not just an investigation into the circumstances of Samuel's death but an unsettling psychological journey into the depths of Sandra and Samuel's conflicted relationship, while Daniel faces a moral dilemma as the main witness. French film; 2h 31m.
Oh, boy, that sounds like tough sledding!!

On Fire      (movie)       (3:01 am, Peacock)
 "tells the story of an ordinary man thrown into extraordinary circumstances. Dave Laughlin (Peter Facinelli) is a humble man who has spent his life working to be a great husband, father and son. Living in a remote area of Northern California, he finds his world suddenly and violently torn apart as devastating wildfires rip through the surrounding area. With precious moments ticking by, Laughlin must flee with his son (Asher Angel) and pregnant wife (Fiona Dourif) if they have any hope of surviving the rapid forces of mother nature." Lance Henriksen also stars. 1h 20m.
 https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/survival-drama-on-fire-heads-to-nbc-universal-streaming-service-peacock-march-22-302090173.html
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15783520/
Hmmmmm... Maybe.

You'll Never Find Me        (movie)        (3:01 am, Shudder)
 A thunderstorm brings a mysterious woman to Patrick's isolated mobile home. As the night unfolds, secrets and realities blur. Will she be able to leave? Or is something darker keeping her there? Stars Brendan Rock and Jordan Cowan; 1h 36m.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EHT838rrg
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22023218/
But nobody gets Shudder!!

Slay       (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
 After a booking mistake, four drag queens find themselves performing for a mostly unwelcoming crowd, but when vampires attack, the crowd looks to the queens to save the day.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7AwXW4RbU
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31629757/
 https://www.yahoo.com/news/5-ways-tubis-slay-trailer-161906791.html
I'm guessing I am not in the target audience for this!?...

     Broadcast and cable:
  None.
Ouch! (Lifetime and LMN are really letting us down!!)

 (end)