Re: MSNBC Guest Claims White People Stole All Music (Except Classical) From Black People

Sujet : Re: MSNBC Guest Claims White People Stole All Music (Except Classical) From Black People
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 01. Apr 2024, 20:59:05
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:39 -0500
Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

Ubiquitous wrote:

An MSNBC guest claimed on Monday that white people had
stolen every form of music in existence — with the
exception of classical music — from black people.

“The Daily Show” correspondent Dulce Sloan weighed in on
the topic, responding to critics who had suggested
Beyonce’s upcoming country album — after a lengthy career
in hip hop and pop music — was a step outside her
proscribed lane.

WATCH:

MSNBC guest: "If White people hated cultural
appropriation, then they shouldn't have created music.
Because every form of music in America was stolen from
Black people." pic.twitter.com/wysQqDTLaf

— TheBlaze (@theblaze) February 19, 2024

The host of the show joked that the conservatives
complaining about Beyonce’s foray into country were just
proving that people on the Right actually were not in
favor of “cultural appropriation.”

“But black people have always been a part of folk and
country music,” he continued, turning the question over to
Sloan. “You want to weigh in on that?”

“If white people hated cultural appropriation, then they
shouldn’t have created music,” Sloan said. “Because every
form of music in America was stolen from black people:
rock’n’roll, jazz, blues, country, pop music. So if you
have a problem with cultural appropriation — y’all created
classical music, y’all could have stuck with that …”

“Roll the piano into this concert,” Sloan continued in
mocking tones, claiming that white people — and
conservatives — only had an issue with cultural
appropriation when the thing being appropriated was
something they liked or wanted to be associated with.

“As dumb as this is, let’s just say she’s right,” one
person responded via X. “Fine. We’ll give up performing
rock & roll and she can give up indoor plumbing, the
printed word, cell phones, and wheeled transportation.”

As dumb as this is, let’s just say she’s right.

Fine. We’ll give up performing rock & roll and she can
give up indoor plumbing, the printed word, cell phones,
and wheeled transportation. https://t.co/9rqnNdxkth

— Tandy (@dantypo) February 20, 2024

“Here’s the issue with this. They take something that is
an irrefutable fact (the foundations of American popular
music comes from Black Americans) and then mix it with
some bulls*** (every form of music in America was
‘stolen’). I can’t believe I have to say this in 2024 but
ITS NOT A BAD THING THAT WHITE PEOPLE CONSUME OUR
CONTENT,” Darvio Morrow commented.

“Yes there have been issues with the music industry
robbing Black artists, obscenely so during the Rock and
Roll era. And I’ve already laid out how the INDUSTRY stole
rock music from Black folks. But you can’t blame the whole
country for the practices of the entertainment industry.
That was the industry, not the people,” he continued. “The
audience never stopped loving our music. I view our
immense contributions to American popular music and
culture as a point of pride. The number one genre of music
in the country TODAY is Black music (Hip-Hop/R&B). To take
something we should celebrate and bash the country with it
is so stupid and counterproductive.”

Here’s the issue with this. They take something that is an
irrefutable fact (the foundations of American popular
music comes from Black Americans) and then mix it with
some bullsh*t (every form of music in America was
“stolen”). I can’t believe I have to say this in 2024 but
ITS… https://t.co/MSt3No1xKC

— Darvio Morrow (@DTheKingpin) February 20, 2024

Despite the furor, Beyonce’s “Texas Hold ‘Em” — a single
released during the Super Bowl alongside “16 Carriages,”
both from her upcoming album — has already rocketed to the
top of the Billboard Country chart, making the Destiny’s
Child alum the first black woman to have a number 1 single
on the country chart.

As for the roots of American country music? According to
John McEuen of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, it camae from
everywhere: “Country music wasn’t called that yet, but it
was music of the country. It was a combination of the
Irish; the recently freed slaves, bringing the banjo into
the world; the Spanish effects of the vaqueros down in
Texas; the Germans bringing over the ‘oom-pah’ of polka
music, all converging.”

Classical music has been appropriated too.

Since last year, the classical music channel on SiriusXM
has been making a point of playing music from a limited
list of black classical-style composers, especially
Florence Price who hits the daily double with being
both black and female. Another frequent black composer
heard is William Grant Sill. And occasionally Scott
Joplin (who would be more appropriate on one of the
several Jazz channels).

Oh, and they've also moved the Met Opera channel to
streaming only, but still feature an opera on the
Symphony Hall channel on Saturday afternoons. Instead
of the usual Wagner, last week's opera segment featured
an opera titled "The Life of Malcolm X."

Good thing I've got plenty of music on CDs and vinyl.

Nyssa, who wonders if this is a flash in the pan or
a permanent trend

When I first heard rap 30 or 35 years ago , I truly sure it was going
to be a flash in the pan: it was too awful to have any staying power. I
was obviously wrong about the staying power part!

--
Rhino