Re: The Stupidest Member of Congress, Sheila Jackson Lee (D): "The Moon is Made of Gases"

Sujet : Re: The Stupidest Member of Congress, Sheila Jackson Lee (D): "The Moon is Made of Gases"
De : super70s (at) *nospam* super70s.invalid (super70s)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 10. Apr 2024, 07:07:21
On 2024-04-09 18:26:32 +0000, BTR1701 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Congress's resident moron, Congresswoman
Sheila Jackson-Lee (D):
 The moon is "made up mostly of gases" so we can soon live inside it, unlike
the sun which is "almost" too hot to go near.
  https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1777722525939625984/vid/avc1/320x320/IqS6IPUaTCXkT8hU.mp4?tag=14
U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee responds to backlash after saying moon is mostly made up of gases
By Shakari Briggs, Staff writer
The Houston Chronicle
April 9, 2024
Things took an astronomical turn for the worse on X, formerly Twitter, when critics began teasing Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee about her remarks at an event Tuesday. Lee took to twitter to defend herself saying she misspoke when she referred to the moon as being made "mostly of gases."
"Obviously, I misspoke and meant to say the sun, but as usual, Republicans are focused on stupid things instead of stuff that really matters," Lee wrote on X. "What can I say though, foolish thinkers lust for stupidity."
    Obviously I misspoke and meant to say the sun, but as usual, Republicans are focused on stupid things instead of stuff that really matters.
    What can I say though, foolish thinkers lust for stupidity! https://t.co/ABGxUdRqF6
    -- Sheila Jackson Lee (@JacksonLeeTX18) April 9, 2024
In a video on X that's been viewed nearly 600,000 times, Lee said "sometimes, you've heard the word full moon. Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity to just come out and see a full moon -- it's that complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases." She went on to say "that's why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the moon -- the gas is such that we could do that."
After discussing the moon, Lee dived into another part of the solar system -- the sun.
"The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it's almost impossible to go near the sun," she said. "The moon is more manageable and you will see in a couple years that NASA is going back to the moon."
According to Space.com, gaseous moon do exist just not in our solar system. We have ice, rocky and ocean moons. Keith Cooper, of Space.com, says the moons in our solar system formed through the "bottom-up core accretion process in disks of leftover material that ringed their parent planets." As a result, the planets had "already swept up most of the available material" thus it "wasn't enough left to form a moon massive enough to have enough gravity to hold onto a lot of gas."
"In fact, only one moon in the solar system even has an atmosphere and that's Saturn's largest moon, Titan," wrote Cooper.
Shakari Briggs is a reporter for the Houston Chronicle.