Re: Bad reporting Hazards to Homeless article

Sujet : Re: Bad reporting Hazards to Homeless article
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 15. Apr 2024, 03:21:06
On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:10:48 -0700
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <20240414115816.00002f6c@example.com>,

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:20:47 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:22:48 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

If the homeless were allowed agency, there would inevitably be
pressure to hold them accountable for their actions. That would
undermine the "progressive" Saviours who are going to fix
everything with vast new and expensive - and almost certainly
futile - programs to help the poor darlings. It's far better to
just declare them all to be helpless captives of their
addictions and mental health so that "help" can be applied in
whatever fashion the government and their agents in the civil
service deem necessary. Many many billions of tax dollars can
then be wasted on schemes that won't solve the problem but WILL
enrich the agencies that run the schemes.

You're suggesting forcible confinement in mental health
facilities

Actually, no, I was not even *thinking* of doing that.

You may not be, but I am. If you're violently mentally ill, walking
around threatening people and attacking them, you need to be removed
from society. If your illness is such that treatment is ineffective,
then you stay there forever. But there's no reason the rest of us
should have to run the risk of being attacked, stabbed, set on fire,
whatever your delusions are telling you to do just going about our
daily lives.

I agree with you completely that they MUST be held accountable for
their actions. We cannot treat them like small children or drunks that
aren't responsible for what they do. (I still remember a case where a
drunk ran over and killed 3 women in a crosswalk and was sentenced to
30 days in jail, to be served weekends, because the judge didn't want
him to lose his job. That was in the early 80s here in Ontario when
drunk drivers weren't felt to be terribly culpable for killing
people.)

If a drug-addled homeless person sets people on fire, stabs them or
whatever, then I have no problem with them going to jail or forced into
a secure mental facility. I want to believe that most of them aren't
that bad and don't need that kind of treatment but I'm prepared to be
proven wrong.

--
Rhino