Re: Donald Trump: The worst traitor in American history

Sujet : Re: Donald Trump: The worst traitor in American history
De : Phil3487 (at) *nospam* yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (The_LA_Flash)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 22. Apr 2024, 19:51:51

 > Paul Szypula wrote:
 > How do Trump's extraordinary betrayals stand up against history? He
could
 > be the worst.
 > Putting Trump in context is the best way to highlight and
understand his
 > betrayals. History is the highest court, and its verdict can't be
appealed.
 > David Rothkopf
 > Opinion columnist
 >
 > It is not a small thing to call the president of the United States
 > traitor. But it is an even greater offense to fail to call him one
if he
 > has betrayed his country as often and as egregiously as Donald
Trump has
 > done.
 >
 > As the depth of Trumps active collaboration with Russia became
clear in
 > 2016 and 2017, as he was revealed to be surrounded by men who were

 > compromised by their ties to Russia, as he orchestrated a cover-up
of his
 > wrongdoing, fired and impeded those who would investigate it and
serially
 > rewarded Russia for its efforts on his behalf, it was not uncommon
to hear
 > critics apply strong labels to what the president had done. Trump
himself
 > has applied the word "treason" almost casually to his
political enemies.

 > But treason is very narrowly defined by the Constitution. Article
III
 > specifies, Treason against the United States, shall consist only in

 > levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving
them aid
 > and comfort. While it is undoubtedly true that Trump has adhered to
 > foreign adversary, Russia, and has given it much aid and comfort,
the
 > courts have determined that an enemy can only be a country against
which we
 > have declared war. That is an antiquated idea in a time during
which
 > undeclared wars are far more common and cyber conflict, for
example, may be
 > an almost permanent feature of an international relationship. But
it is
 > binding.
 > Trump has repeatedly betrayed US
 >
 > That said, the dictionary definition of a traitor is a person who
betrays
 > a friend, country or principle. There is no doubt that Trump has
betrayed
 > the country time and time again. It is a matter of public record
that he
 > encouraged our Russian adversaries to become involved in the 2016
election.
 > When the intelligence community provided evidence of the threat
posed by
 > Russia, we saw Trump dismiss it, ignore it, fail in his duty to
preserve,
 > protect and defend.
 >
 > We have seen him use the power of his office to reward and
celebrate the
 > Russians and to condemn Americans in the CIA and the FBI and
elsewhere who
 > would seek to impede the Russian attacks on our democracy. We have
watched
 > him undermine the rule of law in the United States and alter U.S.
policy in
 > ways that empowered the Russians and, specifically, enabled them to

 > interfere yet again in our elections.
 >
 > Relentless adversary:Russia never stopped trying to sway elections
and sow
 > mistrust. Best thing to do is vote.
 >
 > The Russia betrayal is the original sin of the Trump presidency.
And since
 > Russian President Vladimir Putin helped Trump win office, not a
week has
 > gone by that we have not been confronted by its consequences
attacks on
 > our allies, classified information handed over in the Oval Office,
hacks
 > put atop the intelligence community to suppress warnings about
Russia,
 > messages from the president validating Putin propaganda over the
findings
 > of U.S. national security professionals, embracing Russian
positions on
 > issues like Ukraine, giving Russia a free hand in Syria, pulling
out of the
 > Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty in a way to give Russia
more
 > freedom to develop its defenses.
 >
 > Investigations into this betrayal have been quashed. But the facts
close
 > ties between Trump and his team with Russians and (in the case of
people
 > like Paul Manafort and Rudy Giuliani) direct interaction with known
Russian
 > intelligence operatives  have been established.
 > Cover of 'Traitor: A History of American Betrayal From Benedict
Arnold to
 > Donald Trump,' by David Rothkopf, published Oct. 27, 2020.
 >
 > There have been other betrayals, of course:  Rewarding foreign
despots who
 > might benefit Trump businesses. Every corrupt act of placing
self-interest
 > ahead of the national interest. Seeking to pressure Ukrainians into
helping
 > defeat a potential political adversary, the act that led to Trumps

 > impeachment. Placing personal political fortunes ahead of the lives
and
 > well-being of hundreds of thousands of Americans, now victims of
the COVID-
 > 19 catastrophe.
 >
 > Trump has betrayed the country again and again. And there has been
 > massive effort by him and his political allies to quash this truth,
 > cloud perceptions with disinformation, to claim critical elements
of it
 > were a hoax. To defend the country, to ensure the survival of our
democracy
 > and to ultimately undo the damage Trump and Putin and their
enablers and
 > cronies have done, it was essential that the facts be brought to
light.

 > But how could that be done in a way that would stand up to scrutiny
and
 > stand out amidst the daily outrages of the Trump presidency?  As a

 > historian and a student of the presidency and of power, I know that
history
 > is the highest court, that its jurisdiction knows no boundaries and
that
 > its final verdict cannot be appealed. Further, I understood that it
was
 > essential not to allow Trumps serial betrayals to become somehow
 > normalized or devalued in the acid back and forth of our daily
political
 > debate.
 > Trump in historical context
 >
 > The best way to convey the extraordinary nature of Trumps abuses
and the
 > damage he has done is to let the facts speak for themselves against
the
 > backdrop of history. It is essential to objectively ask, how do his
acts
 > compare with those who have come before him? Where does he stand
alongside
 > Benedict Arnold, Aaron Burr, Jefferson Davis, John Brown, the
Rosenbergs,
 > Aldrich Ames, Robert Hanssen?
 >
 > Each of their stories is different (Brown, convicted and hanged for

 > treason, was a mistreated hero; Arnold was an American war hero
before he
 > became our most notorious traitor). But by placing Trump among
them, as I
 > have done in my new book, Traitor: A History of American Betrayal
from
 > Benedict Arnold to Donald Trump, we can see what he has done in
context,
 > dispassionately, set apart from the spin and the apologists.
 >
 > Retired Marine generals:Trump's dangerous isolationism weakens
America and

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/10/27/trump-betrayals-stand-
 > out-even-next-to-benedict-arnold-column/6040603002/

Thanks for posting, the writer knocked it out of the park. Trump would
sell out anybody for himself but then he expects everyone to be loyal
to him. Show me a Trump supporter and I'll show you a fool.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663993337#663993337