Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-29 (Monday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-29 (Monday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 30. Apr 2024, 16:14:33
On 4/30/2024 5:37 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 4/30/24 5:25 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 4/30/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

What did you watch?
 Of course, I should never trust Ubi - he's throwing another tantrum by sabotaging the subject header here.
 I have fixed that in this followup.

Had stuff to do, so just:

soaps: DOOL - Fri's ep. Eric figures out that Sloan has been paying Leo's hotel bill - so they lie *hard*: Sloan saying she felt bad for Leo, and Leo claiming he's a shopaholic! I don't think Eric bought what they were selling. Apparently, Dmitri has been released from prison (incredibly dumb development!) - and I'm seriously not looking forward to his return. Nicole gets a job as a report with Chad. Paulina and EJ argue (she should fire his ass!), and then EJ suggests a "story" for Nicole to pitch to Chad. It looks like Chanel is suffering from (delayed) radiation sickness afterall.

And I saw an episode of "Wheel" where a very annoying contestant won.

That was it - I didn't watch anything else, and did work.

What did you watch?

I watched:
Dead Boy Detectives (Netflix) New series set in the "Sandman" universe. I watched the first three episodes. (Spoilers follow.)
"The Case of Crystal Palace" - Pilot episode which establishes the characters and theme of the show.  The show follows two ghosts, "Edwin" who died in 1916 and his best friend "Charles" who died in 1989.  The two are hiding from "Death" (Kirby Howell-Baptiste reprising her role from "The Sandman").  One of them escaped from hell, so he has extra incentive to stay off of Death's radar.  First up a ghost hires them to help her friend, a young psychic woman who can see ghosts.  The boys save her from a demon possession just in time for her to join the detective agency as their third member.  Half of the team loves the idea; the other half hates it.  The trio then take on a case of rescuing a young girl from a witch.  By the end of the episode they have two new enemies, the demon who possessed their new friend and the witch.  This episode also establishes the "cat" episode from "The Sandman" as being in continuity.  It was always in continuity, but now it's in live action continuity.
"The Case of the Dandelion Shrine" - The case of the week was amusing. "This jar is a hate crime!"  But otherwise not worth discussing. Anyway, this episode doubles down on the "cat" situation with the Cat King being upset Edwin for using magic on a cat in the last episode and punishes him as a result.  Now he's trapped in the same town as their last case, the town an angry witch is after them for butting into her child kidnapping ring last episode.  "If I can't milk children's fear by feeding them to my snake, what are we doing?"  Another side effect from the last episode is one of the ghosts possessed the witch in order to get away.  By possessing a living person all sorts of red flags went off in the afterlife records department and now an afterlife case worker (Ruth Connell practically reprising her role from Supernatural) is aware of the two ghosts and after them.  Episode two was much better than episode one.  Episode one was trying to be too quirky.  They toned it down a bit for the second one.  And I guess their client from this episode who can now see the dead is part of the team now too.  They do seem to keep picking up their clients as new members.
"The Case of the Devlin House" - The case of the week is a haunted house mixed with a time loop.  But no one cares about the case of the week! Anyway, the good stuff...The witch is still out to get the boys and to help her she basically creates a honey trap and sends it after one of the boys.  And meanwhile in the afterlife retrieval department they are trying to get the proper paperwork in order to come to Earth and retrieve the boys, but the afterlife bureaucracy is serious about making sure all the paperwork is in order before letting anyone come to Earth. The cats are still hanging around.  And the two  Dandelion Sprites are also around (not that they have a choice) for ongoing funny commentary. If you can get passed the first episode, the show definitely picks up.