Re: LGBT Character Representation On TV Decreases Again, Per GLAAD Report

Sujet : Re: LGBT Character Representation On TV Decreases Again, Per GLAAD Report
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 01. May 2024, 23:11:28
On Wed, 01 May 2024 04:36:48 -0400
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

The advocacy group GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)
just released its 19th annual report on LGBT characters in television
shows for the 2023-2024 season, noting a decrease in representation
for the second year in a row.

The “Where We Are on TV” report noted that 468 LGBT characters
appeared on TV shows last year compared to 596 the previous year. It
found that 36% of those characters would not be returning for the
upcoming season.

GLAAD reported 39 LGBT regulars on 64 primetime series, representing
a decrease of 44% (31 characters) compared to the previous year.
However, this reduction could be partly due to fewer primetime shows
across the spectrum.

On cable, the watchdog organization noted 77 LGBT characters, a 45%
drop from last year. Those 77 will be further reduced next year as 38
will leave due to canceled shows or characters dying or being written
off.

The GLAAD study also found that the number of transgender characters
decreased from 32 to 24 for the 2023-2024 TV season. It also found 72
fewer “characters of color,” with 232 total.

“GLAAD’s Where We Are on TV study found a number of concerning
decreases across the board in the past two years, alongside a
changing industry on all fronts which is seeing increased vertical
integration and contracting budgets and staff,” Megan Townsend, GLAAD
senior director of entertainment research and analysis, said of the
study results.

Despite recent decreases, LGBT representation has increased
dramatically since the “Where We Are on TV” report began. The
organization reported a 1276% increase, with 13.7x more LGBT
characters on television compared to the 1996-97 season.

GLAAD president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said networks should
continue to cast LGBT characters.

“We know that LGBTQ-inclusive series can indeed be successful, as
demonstrated by shows like ‘The Last of Us’ and ‘Yellowjackets,’”
Ellis said in response to the findings. “We know it is imperative for
the queer community, especially transgender people, to see our lives
reflected on screen to counteract the misinformation and harmful
rhetoric going unchecked by politicians and journalists. And we know
that younger audiences are hungry for shows that truly reflect the
world around them.”

I really don't understand how these people are counting things because
to my eyes, virtually EVERY show has got characters that should make
the LGBT crowd delirious with joy. There seem to be more and more every
year, not less as they claim. Personally, I think they're using some
kind of dodgy methodology that causes them to deliberately undercount
the number of LGBT characters: that means they can publish articles
like this demanding yet MORE such characters to make up for the
"decline".

Frankly, I don't think they'll really be happy until ALL of the
characters are LGBT; that will be the point where they grudgingly admit
that the balance is "about right" while sternly warning all concerned
that they will continue to monitor very closely and shout if from the
rooftops if they see any back-sliding.

--
Rhino