Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-04 (Saturday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-04 (Saturday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. May 2024, 18:23:17
On 5/5/2024 8:16 AM, john wrote:
In article <UBI20240505@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:

On Star Wars Day, I watched:

MAY THE 4TH BE... AHH WHO CARES ANYMORE | Film Threat Rants
https://youtu.be/eRRMYD2fHyE?si=tUtT58mWJvg6ag2T
 "May the 4th" is now just another day that corporations use for
marketing. It's become so corny and cringe.

In 2022 I got to go to Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim and the Star Wars Night at Disneyland.  It may be corporate but it was loads of fun. I went to my first Star Was Celebration in 2015 where they debuted a trailer for the Force Awakens then brought the real BB-8 robot out on stage which at that point everyone assumed was CGI until a working robot rolled out on stage.  You just can't top that.  Even from the nose bleed seats where I was sitting it was pure joy.
I watched:
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1970 sequel which mostly rips off the plot of the first movie but quickly changes the setting to show mutant humans who worship a bomb before destroying the planet ensuring there could never be a sequel.  The movie was shockingly bloody at the end with all the blood splatter and head shots.
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1971 sequel which wasn't going to let the entire planet blowing up get in the way of making another one.  Turns out that just before the planet went boom, three apes, with no advanced tools or knowledge, fished a crashed spaceship from the bottom of a lake, rebuilt built it, fueled it, and successfully launched it into orbit. Sure these apes didn't even have a concept of flight, but rebuilding and flying a spaceship was no problem.  It's a good thing I like this movie a lot or I might be annoyed.
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1972 sequel and my favorite of the original Apes movies.  Roddy McDowall stars as his own son who leads a bloody revolution to take down humanity.  This was the much superior uncut version.  I don't know why they even put the theatrical cut on the disc.  No one wants to watch the theatrical cut when the uncut version is an option!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zHqjDjdLA
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1973 sequel.  What can I say about this one?  It exists and it was included in the box. And it made for good background noise while I straightened up.
Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 2001 reboot of the franchise directed by Tim Burton.  This time a technologically advanced human lands on a planet of talking Apes and it's conclusively not Earth.  It was about 10 years since I last watched the original Apes movies, but at the time I skipped this one, so it was even longer since I last watched this reboot.  I actually really like it.  I love the make up design and the acting from the Apes actors.  Overall Mark Wahlberg not withstanding, it's a pretty solid movie.  Unfortunately I got sucked into the Tim Burton commentary track and the movie became background noise.  Although I was very annoyed with Tim Burton's unapologetic stance at the ending which makes *no* sense!  He even sort of acknowledges the ending made no sense, but his attitude was that's how he *wanted* to end the movie, and also set up potential sequels so someone else could explain it away however they wanted in a sequel.