Re: Stupid tv I'm watching Law & Order "Castle in the Sky" 5/2/2024 (spoilers)

Sujet : Re: Stupid tv I'm watching Law & Order "Castle in the Sky" 5/2/2024 (spoilers)
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 06. May 2024, 22:54:09
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

. . .

Price argues that case law about privacy in a homeless

NOTE: they don't use the word homeless anymore. All the way through the
show they continued to use the new term "unhoused"

In L.A., you can't even say that. All the government officials and their
media stenographers use the phrase "people experiencing homelessness"
because (they say) the emphasis must be on the fact that they are people
first and that homelessness isn't their defining trait. Everything is
"people experiencing X" now.

I'm a person experiencing a person who hasn't showered nor laundered his
clothing in months when I encounter them on the "L".

You're not a drug addict, you're a person experiencing drug addiction.

It's not a lifestyle choice either. Evil drugs forced their way into
your bloodstream.

You're not a convicted felon, you're a person who has experienced
incarceration.

Haven't you heard justice-system related? I can't tell if the dude is
the court clerk or a felon out of prison and now on parole.

You're not an illegal alien, you're a person who is not yet an American
citizen.

<vomit>

. . .

What will Dixon do? She waits till the very last moment, just before
Price enters the conference room at his own office to offer the plea
bargain to the defense. Price tells the defense he won't offer the plea
after all. Price puts Dixon on the stand to rebut the girl's testimony.

Why isn't all of this heresay? She "overheard" the little girl signing
to her son at a distance, and only caught a couple of keywords and
bullied the son and the deaf daughter into telling her a story and
then she's allowed to testify to it in court?

It would typically be hearsay and the defendant's lawyer objected to
just that but it was overruled because Price rightly pointed out that it
was a statement against penal interest and therefore the hearsay rule
didn't apply.

It must make you do a double take that the script got something right
about trial procedure.