Re: Drone sent over property as part of municipal code enforcement; no exclusionary rule violation

Sujet : Re: Drone sent over property as part of municipal code enforcement; no exclusionary rule violation
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 07. May 2024, 03:33:30
On Mon, 6 May 2024 18:27:28 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

On Mon, 06 May 2024 12:57:30 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <v1aupf$2lass$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Around here, I am aware of the municipal code of Evanston Illinois that
requires annual inspection of rental apartment buildings. The municipal
inspector can choose to inspect the interior of an occupied apartment in
a particular building subject to inspection to verify that the building
isn't being maintained as a slum, compelling the landlord to open the
apartment's locked doors without notice to the tenant. I've never heard
of anybody challenging this in court, but I think it's an outrageous
violation of rights against search and self incrimination.

Sounds like if I lived in Evanston, I'd have single-side deadbolt locks
installed on the doors so that I could prevent that, at least when I'm
home. Fuck the code inspector. He can arrange an appointment to inspect
at my convenience. I'm not a parolee subject to surprise drop-ins from
the government.

Is that any different from landlords having maintenance crews stop by
to do inspections. My apartment complex does yearly inspections for
the smoke detectors. They usually send out notices the week before
they will be coming by some time during the next week to do the
inspection. They also did an inspection a few years back for some
county code inspection that resulted in them sending out a number of
notices about various code violations like people have those small bbq
grills on their decks with threats of fines. (Fines that I've never
seen them follow through on.)

We got rid of those after some idiot violator burned down his apartment
building.

Yeah, I don't like them because of that. What's strange is they used
to have grills out near each group of apartments that were there for
the community to use. Then a few years back they removed all of them
except for the one grill by the pool. So if you wanted to grill out
you had to take your stuff over to the pool and hope no one else was
there using it instead of 4 other grills they used to have on the
property.