Re: biggest NCIS news of all time!

Sujet : Re: biggest NCIS news of all time!
De : robin.miller (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 08. May 2024, 00:03:18
BTR1701 wrote:
In article
<1647836400.736806466.284585.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
  anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

Yes, our beloved Robin has viciously thrashed Ian once again, beating him
to this fantastic news!

https://deadline.com/2024/05/ncis-tony-ziva-spinoff-series-title-1235907546/

NCIS TONY & ZIVA Spinoff Series Gets Official Title

By Nellie Andreeva
May 7, 2024 10:34am

Paramount's Tony & Ziva NCIS spinoff is untitled no more. The two stars of
the Europe-set series, Michael Weatherly and Cote de Pablo, got on Zoom to
unveil the moniker of the offshoot Tuesday.

After referencing a couple of titles that had been floated, NCIS: EUROPE
and NCIS: TRUS NO ONE, the duo announced that the official title of their
new show will be NCIS: TONY & ZIVA.

"It makes it really easy because the fans will know exactly what the show
is. It's about Tony and Ziva in Europe," de Pablo said.
 Which, much like FBI: INTERNATIONAL will be absolutely ridiculous from
top to bottom, with American law enforcement running around Europe
shooting guns and kicking in people's doors and arresting Europeans on
their own soil.
 I mean, imagine the reverse: would we put up with even our closest
allies sending armed police onto our streets, physically arresting our
citizens or storming their homes? Not for one goddam second would we
tolerate that.
 But that's exactly what happens on the FBI show, and now this NCIS show
will certainly be much of the same. FBI agents kicking in doors in
France and tackling French citizens to the ground and handcuffing them.
Oh, and I forgot about ordering the local police around like the FBI is
their boss. That one's always good for a belly laugh. FBI aren't even
allowed to carry guns in Europe. I had a friend in the Bureau who was
assigned as legat in Madrid and he had to fly to DC three times a year
to qualify on his pistol since it wasn't legal for him as a foreign
national to possess a firearm on Spanish soil even just to qualify on a
range.
 Of course the producers have to completely ignore reality if they want
to make an international police show because reality would be extremely
boring and would have the stars of the show doing nothing but standing
around watching while the local police did all the exciting stuff.
 That's exactly what it was like for me when I would work foreign
presidential visits. On a visit to Germany, some guy in Berlin started
making threats to the president on the Facebook and DC tracked him down
easily enough, got his name, address, personal history, etc. and then
told me to go interview him. Not arrest him, just talk to him. And I
wasn't even allowed to do that. The Berlin polizei took all the info we
had, went and picked him up and did the interview themselves. I was only
allowed to submit questions for them to ask, then watch from outside the
room as they conducted the interview. In the end, they determined what
he'd said didn't violate German law, so they released him. And that was
the extent of what I was allowed to do. And no, I wasn't allowed to walk
around armed, either. They allowed us to carry our pistols (but not
handcuffs) on the day of the actual visit, but for the two weeks ahead
of the visit while we there doing the advance work, no guns were allowed.
 Like I said, makes for a boring TV show.
 (There were times when we the locals wouldn't allow us to be armed at
all and the security environment was such that we weren't going to take
no for answer. On a visit to Mexico with Bush, the Mexicans wouldn't
allow any firearms, so DC flew in a package with every agent's
diplomatic passport and handed our guns out to us on the day of the
visit. That way we'd be armed but if any Mexican cop or official tried
to jam up an agent, he'd have diplomatic immunity and the worst they
could do would be to kick him out of the country.)

Yes, but don't most shows try to explain that by saying that the US agents are working for or with either Interpol or the national police force of the country they're in? Maybe American agents can't really be "deputized" in that manner.
--Robin