Re: biggest NCIS news of all time!

Sujet : Re: biggest NCIS news of all time!
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 08. May 2024, 06:06:32
BTR1701  <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
On May 7, 2024 at 3:03:18 PM PDT, "Robin Miller"
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

BTR1701 wrote:
 In article
 <1647836400.736806466.284585.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
   anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

 Yes, our beloved Robin has viciously thrashed Ian once again, beating him
 to this fantastic news!

https://deadline.com/2024/05/ncis-tony-ziva-spinoff-series-title-1235907546/

 NCIS TONY & ZIVA Spinoff Series Gets Official Title

 By Nellie Andreeva
 May 7, 2024 10:34am

 Paramount's Tony & Ziva NCIS spinoff is untitled no more. The two stars of
 the Europe-set series, Michael Weatherly and Cote de Pablo, got on Zoom to
 unveil the moniker of the offshoot Tuesday.

 After referencing a couple of titles that had been floated, NCIS: EUROPE
 and NCIS: TRUS NO ONE, the duo announced that the official title of their
 new show will be NCIS: TONY & ZIVA.

 "It makes it really easy because the fans will know exactly what the show
 is. It's about Tony and Ziva in Europe," de Pablo said.

 Which, much like FBI: INTERNATIONAL will be absolutely ridiculous from
 top to bottom, with American law enforcement running around Europe
 shooting guns and kicking in people's doors and arresting Europeans on
 their own soil.

 I mean, imagine the reverse: would we put up with even our closest
 allies sending armed police onto our streets, physically arresting our
 citizens or storming their homes? Not for one goddam second would we
 tolerate that.

 But that's exactly what happens on the FBI show, and now this NCIS show
 will certainly be much of the same. FBI agents kicking in doors in
 France and tackling French citizens to the ground and handcuffing them.
 Oh, and I forgot about ordering the local police around like the FBI is
 their boss. That one's always good for a belly laugh. FBI aren't even
 allowed to carry guns in Europe. I had a friend in the Bureau who was
 assigned as legat in Madrid and he had to fly to DC three times a year
 to qualify on his pistol since it wasn't legal for him as a foreign
 national to possess a firearm on Spanish soil even just to qualify on a
 range.

 Of course the producers have to completely ignore reality if they want
 to make an international police show because reality would be extremely
 boring and would have the stars of the show doing nothing but standing
 around watching while the local police did all the exciting stuff.

 That's exactly what it was like for me when I would work foreign
 presidential visits. On a visit to Germany, some guy in Berlin started
 making threats to the president on the Facebook and DC tracked him down
 easily enough, got his name, address, personal history, etc. and then
 told me to go interview him. Not arrest him, just talk to him. And I
 wasn't even allowed to do that. The Berlin polizei took all the info we
 had, went and picked him up and did the interview themselves. I was only
 allowed to submit questions for them to ask, then watch from outside the
 room as they conducted the interview. In the end, they determined what
 he'd said didn't violate German law, so they released him. And that was
 the extent of what I was allowed to do. And no, I wasn't allowed to walk
 around armed, either. They allowed us to carry our pistols (but not
 handcuffs) on the day of the actual visit, but for the two weeks ahead
 of the visit while we there doing the advance work, no guns were allowed.

 Like I said, makes for a boring TV show.

 (There were times when we the locals wouldn't allow us to be armed at
 all and the security environment was such that we weren't going to take
 no for answer. On a visit to Mexico with Bush, the Mexicans wouldn't
 allow any firearms, so DC flew in a package with every agent's
 diplomatic passport and handed our guns out to us on the day of the
 visit. That way we'd be armed but if any Mexican cop or official tried
 to jam up an agent, he'd have diplomatic immunity and the worst they
 could do would be to kick him out of the country.)

Yes, but don't most shows try to explain that by saying that the US
agents are working for or with either Interpol or the national police
force of the country they're in?

(1) Interpol isn't actually a law enforcement agency. Despite what you see in
movies and TV shows, it doesn't have officers or agents who go out and work
cases and arrest people for crimes. It's an information clearinghouse that
facilitates communication among law enforcement in various countries. That's
it.

(2) Yes, if the French government, for example, wanted to give FBI agents the
ability to run around Paris armed with the authority to arrest French
citizens, it *could* do that but no country ever *will* do that. It would be a
gross insult to their national sovereignty and, depending on the country, a
violation of their citizens' rights.

As I pointed out above, the American government would never allow the police
from a foreign country to make arrests on the streets of Chicago or Miami or
L.A. And even if they did, I as a citizen am not obligated to obey some German
or Polish cop who comes knocking on my door. They would have no authority over
me.

How many people have the Chinese kidnapped and deported via their
"police stations"?