[OT] Toronto wokesters want to rename Baby Point

Sujet : [OT] Toronto wokesters want to rename Baby Point
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 11. May 2024, 14:48:01
What could possibly be the problem with the use of "Baby" in a place
name, you ask? Well, the slightly surprising answer is that the problem
is not with babies, singular or plural, but two individuals, James
Baby Sr. and James Baby Jr. They gave their names to a posh district to
the west of downtown Toronto that they initially owned and then
gradually sold off. The problem is that James Baby Sr. owned 20 slaves
in the days before slavery ended, which was the early 1800s in the
British Empire where Toronto was situated at the time. Now, James Baby
Sr. never actually set foot in Canada - he lived in Detroit - but his
son DID live in the area called Baby Point. While Junior did have one
slave, which he inherited from his father, he emancipated her in 1803
before slavery was abolished. Now, the wokesters want to rename Baby
Point, primarily due to the sins of the father, who - let me repeat
this - never set foot in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/why-this-resident-wants-toronto-s-oldest-richest-neighbourhood-renamed-1.7199463

I keep seeing signs that the fever dream called "woke" is finally
coming to an end and these loonies are being brought to heel by the
people with sense but cases like this make me wonder if I'm just
imagining these signs of sanity.

--
Rhino