Re: TV news for May 5-11, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for May 5-11, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 11. May 2024, 18:08:11
On 5/11/24 8:18 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

     ABC news
  ‘The Conners’ Renewed By ABC For Abbreviated Seventh & Final Season ­ Watch First Promo  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-conners-renewed-final-season-7-episode-count-1235910995/
 >:/

‘Not Dead Yet’ Canceled After 2 Seasons At ABC  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/not-dead-yet-canceled-abc-1235911130/
I never watched this, but it actually looked decent, so too bad.

‘American Idol’ Renewed For Season 8 At ABC As Talent Show Searches For High-Profile Katy Perry Replacement  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/american-idol-renewed-season-8-abc-katy-perry-replacement-1235911453/
Good luck with that!

‘General Hospital’ Casts Giovanni Mazza As Brook Lynn’s Cousin  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/general-hospital-casts-giovanni-mazza-brook-lynn-quartermain-cousin-1235910463/
:|

     CBS news
  ‘NCIS: Origins’ Prequel Adds Patrick Fischler & Julian Black Antelope To Cast  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ncis-origins-prequel-patrick-fischler-julian-black-antelope-cast-1235908680/
Nobody cares!!

CBS Summer Schedule: When To Expect ‘Big Brother,’ Tonys & ‘Tulsa King’ Network Debut  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-summer-schedule-when-to-expect-big-brother-tonys-tulsa-king-network-debut-1235907593/
Ah, so Viacom is slidding in another Pee+ original to CBS?!...

‘The Real CSI: Miami’ True-Crime Series Set At CBS From Jerry Bruckheimer, Anthony Zuiker & Magical Elves  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-real-csi-miami-cbs-1235907603/
Booooo!
No Horatio (in a *scripted* drama series), no show!!

‘NCIS: Hawai’i’ Says Aloha In Series Finale Leaving Fans With Major Cliffhanger (May 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ncis-hawaii-series-finale-recap-cliffhanger-1235906491/
Wow, shocker.

‘Blue Bloods’ Star Tom Selleck Hopes “CBS Will Come To Their Senses” After Show Cancellation  (May 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/blue-bloods-tom-selleck-cbs-cancellation-1235906721/
He's living in fantasy land.

     CW news
  The CW Losses Decline By $50M In Q1, But Parent Nexstar Flags Concern About A National TV Ad Sector That Is “Not In A Positive Place”  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-cw-nexstar-network-revenue-broadcast-tv-1235909965/
How long until Nexstar either sells or folds The C-Wub?!
(I'm guessing, not long...)

     Fox news
  ‘Alert: Missing Persons Unit’ Renewed For Season 3 By Fox  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/alert-missing-persons-unit-renewed-season-3-fox-1235911703/
This seems so generic! Is anybody watching this show?!!

‘Rescue: Hi-Surf’ Adds ‘Animal Kingdom’s Shawn Hatosy & ‘The Resident’s Ian Anthony Dale In Heavily Recurring Roles  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/rescue-hi-surf-casts-shawn-hatosy-ian-anthony-dale-fox-surf-drama-1235907760/
I will probably sample this...

     NBC news
  ‘Quantum Leap’ Didn’t Make The Jump To Peacock Because Of One Factor, Says Exec  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/quantum-leap-didnt-jump-peacock-because-one-factor-says-exec-1235912200/
I'll save you the trouble - they said QL's numbers were much "softer" than L&Q:OC.

NBC Fall 2024-25 Schedule: ‘Found’, ‘The Irrational’ & ‘Night Court’ On The Move, Reba Returns To Friday  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/nbc-fall-2024-25-schedule-found-the-irrational-night-court-reba-mcentire-1235911567/
Night Court to Tuesday nights. Doesn't affect me - I will be watching off Peacock anyway.

‘Law & Order’: Camryn Manheim Not Returning To NBC Series For Season 24 (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/law-and-order-camryn-manheim-exit-season-23-1235911808/
No surprise here. But the reboot is down to just two "originals" now...

Patrick Sabongui & Sara Garcia Join NBC Drama Series ‘The Hunting Party’   (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/patrick-sabongui-sara-garcia-nbc-the-hunting-party-1235911885/
  Melissa Roxburgh To Star In NBC Series ‘The Hunting Party’  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/melissa-roxburgh-the-hunting-party-nbc-1235909619/
 ["'The Hunting Party' is a high-concept crime procedural about a small team of investigators who are assembled to track down and capture the most dangerous killers our country has ever seen, all of whom have just escaped from a top-secret prison that’s not supposed to exist."]
Meh - this is another series that sounds very generic.

‘Happy’s Place’ Bringing More Music And Laughs From Reba McEntire  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/happys-place-bringing-music-reba-mcentire-1235909506/
  Reba McEntire Comedy ‘Happy’s Place’ Lands Series Order At NBC  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/reba-mcentire-happys-place-nbc-1235908257/
 ["The comedy sees McEntire play Bobbie, who inherits her father’s restaurant and is less than thrilled to discover that she has a new business partner in the half-sister she never knew she had."]
Oh, Gawd, no - I'd rather take a bullet!!

‘Extended Family’ Canceled After One Season At NBC  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/extended-family-canceled-nbc-1235899965/
Is anyone surprised?! Whenever I saw some of this show, it was not good!

Eamonn Walker Exits ‘Chicago Fire’ As Series Regular After 12 Seasons (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/eamonn-walker-chicago-fire-exit-1235907905/
:(
Will be interesting to see what the show does now. I would argue that they now need to bringing in someone older, with some "heft".

     Cable channel news
  ‘When Calls The Heart’ Renewed For 12th Season By Hallmark Channel  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/when-calls-the-heart-renewed-12th-season-hallmark-1235911090/
Geezus, Hallmark - try something *new*!!

‘Shogun’ Star Hiroyuki Sanada Inks Deal To Return For Season 2 As FX Limited Series Mulls Emmy Switch To Drama Amid Renewal Buzz  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/hiroyuki-sanada-deal-shogun-renewed-season-2-fx-emmys-drama-1235911076/
A second season of this show sounds like a *terrible* idea!!

Syfy Picks Up ‘Revival’ Series Based On Comics As ‘Resident Alien’ Fate Remains In Limbo  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/revival-series-syfy-surrealestate-renewed-season-3-resident-alien-1235910578/
 ["'Revival' is set on one miraculous day in rural Wisconsin when the recently deceased suddenly rise from their graves. But this is no zombie story as the 'revived' appear and act just like they once were. When local Officer and single mother Dana Cypress is unexpectedly thrown into the center of a brutal murder mystery of her own, she’s left to make sense of the chaos amidst a town gripped by fear and confusion where everyone, alive or undead, is a suspect."]
Considering they don't seem to intend on picking up RA, and seem to be shifting "Chuck" to USA, I can't take the idea that Siffy is still in the "original series" business seriously.

‘Orphan Black: Echoes’ Trailer: Krysten Ritter Is In Danger As A New Conspiracy Is Revealed — Update [AMC]  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/orphan-black-echoes-trailer-premiere-date-amc-krysten-ritter-1235872059/
It's apparently already aired in Europe - Reddit said it was terrible.

Teri Hatcher To Lead Lifetime Movie About Woman Abducted By Possible BTK Killer  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/teri-hatcher-lifetime-movie-the-ruth-finley-story-1235907455/
Wait, what?!

‘Snowpiercer’ Gets Premiere Date For 4th & Final Season On AMC & AMC+; First-Look Photos  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/snowpiercer-season-4-premiere-date-amc-photos-trailer-1235906431/
 [Sunday, July 21]
YaY! And I beat Robin!!  :D

     Streaming service news--Apple TV+
  ‘Constellation’ Canceled By Apple After One Season  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/constellation-canceled-apple-1235912022/
Never got to it - probably never will.
And, again, Reddit basically said it was not good.

     Streaming service news--Disney+
  Disney’s Bob Iger On Reducing Marvel Output, Balancing Sequels And Original Films  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/disneys-bob-iger-reducing-marvel-output-balancing-sequels-original-films-1235907057/
Why don't you focus on putting out *good* content?! Because there has been scarcely little of that since "Endgame".

ESPN Programming Coming To Disney+ By Year-End; Bob Iger Calls It “First Step” Toward Flagship Sports Launch In 2025  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/espn-programming-disney-plus-streaming-2024-bob-iger-1235907044/
:|

Disney Posts Better-Than-Expected Quarterly Results, Nears Streaming Profitability Goal  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/disney-quarterly-earnings-streaming-profitability-1235906698/
I want Disney to go down so bad!!

     Streaming service news--Hulu
  ‘Such Brave Girls’: BBC & Hulu Comedy From Various Artists Ltd & A24 Gets Second Season  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/such-brave-girls-bbc-hulu-comedy-second-season-1235911162/
I'm pretty sure this is a show I would not like!

     Streaming service news--Max
  ‘Scavengers Reign’ Canceled After 1 Season At Max  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/scavengers-reign-canceled-max-netflix-streaming-1235912035/
And then promptly sold to Netflix. Fuck Max!!

Frank Grillo Joins James Gunn For Season 2 Of ‘Peacemaker’  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/frank-grillo-james-gunn-peacemaker-season-2-1235911512/
Looking forward to it!
[Do you really wanna, do you really wanna?!...]

     Streaming service news--Netflix: "Baby Reindeer"
  ‘Baby Reindeer’s Real-Life Martha To “Set Record Straight” In Piers Morgan Interview As She Weighs Netflix Lawsuit  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/baby-reindeer-martha-fiona-harvey-piers-morgan-interview-netflix-1235908567/
She's absolutely a crazy bitch, yeah.

     Streaming service news--Netflix: Other news
 ‘You’ Adds 4 To Cast For Fifth & Final Season   (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/you-season-5-cast-final-season-netflix-1235911457/
Zzzzzzz....

‘Heartbreak High’ Renewed For Third & Final Season At Netflix  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/heartbreak-high-renewed-third-final-season-netflix-no-season-4-1235910716/
Gawd, Netflix just grinds them up!
I am guessing there is no reason why I show like this needs to end after just 3 seasons...

‘Wednesday’: Billie Piper Among Season 2 Cast Additions, Catherine Zeta-Jones & Luis Guzmán Upped To Series Regulars As Production Starts (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/wednesday-season-2-cast-billie-piper-steve-buscemi-catherine-zeta-jones-luis-guzman-promoted-1235906537/
  ‘Wednesday’: Three Actors Exit As Series Regulars Ahead Of Season 2 Of Netflix Series  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/wednesday-percy-hynes-white-jamie-mcshane-naomi-j-ogawa-exit-series-regulars-season-2-1235906885/
I am actually annoyed that they're nixing Percy Hynes White. (And I'm guessing this is 100% Jenna Ortega's doing, too...)

     Streaming service news--Paramount+
  ‘Lioness’ Renewed For Second Season By Paramount+  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/lioness-renewed-second-season-paramount-plus-taylor-sheridan-drama-1235909438/
I guess this is another Pee+ show I should check out over summer...

‘The Chi’ Renewed For Seventh Season By Paramount+ With Showtime  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-chi-renewed-seventh-season-paramount-with-showtime-1235908327/
yay?...

‘NCIS’ Tony & Ziva Spinoff Series Gets Official Title  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ncis-tony-ziva-spinoff-series-title-1235907546/
 ["NCIS: Tony & Ziva"]
Every bit as dumb as the titles to TWD spinoffs!  [roll]

     Streaming service news--Peacock
  Seth MacFarlane’s ‘Ted’ Renewed For Season 2 By Peacock  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ted-renewed-season-2-seth-macfarlane-peacock-1235910211/
Still have never gotten to the films or the series...

‘Law & Order: Organized Crime’ Officially Moving To Peacock For Season 5   (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/law-amp-order-organized-crime-moving-peacock-renewed-season-5-1235910434/
I question this move...

Bryan Fuller Exits ‘Friday The 13th’ Prequel Series; Search For New Showrunner Underway  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/friday-the-13th-prequel-series-bryan-fuller-exits-showrunner-1235909418/
I don't expect this to ever see the light of day, but some kind of "anthology series" would seem to be the way to go here...

     Streaming service news--Prime Video
  ‘Fallout’ Cast & Creators Tease Season 2: Less Spam In The Wasteland, “More Powersuit” & Puppies  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/fallout-season-2-teases-cast-creators-1235911008/
Yeah, and when will season #2 be released?! 2026?!! 2027?!!!

‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Sophie Turner Headlining Amazon Prime Video Heist Series ‘Haven’ Alongside ‘Saltburn’ Breakout Archie Madekwe & ‘Bodies’ Actor Jacob Fortune-Lloyd  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/haven-sophie-turner-archie-madekwe-amazon-prime-video-show-1235911200/
Eh, maybe. (But probably not...)

Amazon’s Prime Video Sets ‘Betty La Fea’ World Premiere Date  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/amazon-prime-video-betty-la-fea-world-premiere-date-1235908951/
 ["'Betty la Fea, the Story Continues, ' [is] the sequel to the Colombian telenovela that inspired ABC’s 'Ugly Betty'"]
Really?!

Amazon Debuts New Streaming Video Ad Formats Ahead Of Upfront Event  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/amazon-new-streaming-video-ad-formats-prime-video-upfront-1235906325/
What a fucking travesty! Fuck Amazon!!

Michelle Yeoh To Star In ‘Blade Runner 2099’ Sequel Series For Prime Video  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/blade-runner-2099-casts-michelle-yeoh-prime-video-1235906169/
OK?...

‘Gen V’ Not Recasting Chance Perdomo’s Role Following Actor’s Death; Sets New Production Start  (May 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/gen-v-recasting-chance-perdomo-season-2-1235904888/
Smart. The idiot YOUTs on Reddit mostly demanded a recast, but it would be a horrible mistake in this case (and in most cases, really).

     Streaming service news--Other services
  Lauren Graham Stars In ‘The Z-Suite’ Comedy Ordered By Tubi As Its First In-House Live-Action Series  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/lauren-graham-the-z-suite-tubi-first-live-action-series-1235908997/
 ["'The Z-Suite' is set at a boutique New York ad agency where generational divides see the established C-Suite and rising Gen Z employees collide. After a company decision spirals out of control, the agency’s reigning executives are pushed out and the Z-Suite employees are suddenly put in charge, ultimately testing both generations’ skills and patience."]
Tubi!
And, not interested!!  ;p

     Series in development
  ‘Charlie’s Angels’: New Brazil-Set Series For Tweens In Works At Sony Pictures Television  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/charlies-angels-brazil-reimagination-sony-pictures-television-1235899320/
Wha...?

     The business of TV
  AMC Networks Q1 Revenue Declines As Advertising And Distribution Woes Continue  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/amc-revenue-declines-advertising-woes-continue-1235911259/
No duh. There is no way that AMC can remain independent.

In Wake Of Big-Budget ‘Silo’, AMC Networks Entertainment And Studio Chief Dan McDermott Says Company Will Still Produce For Third Parties, But “It’s Not Our Primary Business”  (May 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/silo-apple-tv-amc-networks-studio-production-1235911322/
Another sign they're on the way out...

In Streaming Milestone, Disney And Warner Bros. Discovery Team On Bundle Featuring Disney+, Hulu And Max  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/disney-plus-hulu-max-bundle-streaming-milestone-1235909265/
  WBD Chief David Zaslav On Streaming Bundle With Disney: “It Does Feel Like This Is A Moment”  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/warner-bros-discovery-david-zaslav-disney-streaming-bundle-1235909856/
Yeah - the *wrong* one!

New Jersey Approves Massive Studio Complex In Bayonne As State Pushes To Attract Production  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/new-jersey-greenlights-giant-studio-complex-attract-production-1235908606/
Well, Bayonne is a "garden" spot!!  ;p

Fox Chief Lachlan Murdoch Coy On Name Of New Sports Streaming JV But Says It Looks Great And “We Can’t Wait To Launch It This Fall”  (May 8)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/fox-lachlan-murdoch-sports-streaming-jv-name-bundling-1235908540/
Yeah, yeah, yeah - blah, blah, blah!

Strike Averted! Writers Guild Of Canada & Canadian Media Producers Association Reach Agreement  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/writers-guild-canada-cmpa-reach-production-agreement-1235906997/
Do that Canucks have to spell words properly (e.g. it's "*color*") now?!  :p

     Obituaries
  Bernard Hill Dies: ‘Lord Of The Rings’ And ‘Titanic’ Actor Was 79  (May 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/bernard-hill-dead-lord-of-the-rings-titanic-actor-was-79-obituary-1235904774/
:(

     Other News
  Andy Cohen Cleared Of Booze, Drugs & Sexual Harassment Allegations As Investigators Find Claims “Unsubstantiated”  (May 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/andy-cohen-cleared-allegations-1235910643/
Hmmmm....

Bette Midler Calls CBS Sitcom A “Big Mistake” & Regrets Not Suing Lindsay Lohan For Exiting Show After Pilot  (May 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/bette-midler-cbs-sitcom-big-mistake-regrets-not-suing-lindsay-lohan-1235908148/
 ["Bette Midler is not holding back her thoughts on calling out her blunders from the past, and one of those is the 2000 sitcom 'Bette.'"]
Gawd, the older she gets, the more and more she sounds like that cranky old lady down the street who throws oranges at the passing children!!