Re: Selected programming for May 11-17, 2024

Sujet : Re: Selected programming for May 11-17, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 11. May 2024, 18:30:48
On 5/11/24 8:16 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

         Saturday, May 11
       Streaming:
  Deadbolt     (movie)     (3:01 am, Tubi)
 Seeking a fresh start, a young woman finds her sanity on the brink due to unexplained disappearances and chilling nocturnal echoes in her new home. Stars Rebecca Liddiard, Jamie Spilchuk, Camille Stopps, Joey Belfiore and Bill MacDonald. 1h 23m.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zkBGvifsQ
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31170199/
 https://tubitv.com/movies/100020360/deadbolt
This actually came out last night - I know because I used the early release to fix the cast listing order on IMDb last night...
I will probably try to get to this at some point...

     Broadcast and cable:
  Mommy Meanest    (movie)    (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
 Divorced mother Madelyn (Lisa Rinna) and her daughter Mia (Briana Skye) have always had a tight bond. But when Mia starts spending more time with her new boyfriend and is on the verge of leaving for college, Madelyn is panicked by her emerging independence. When Mia starts to receive a barrage of degrading texts, as a protective mother, Madelyn is determined to find out who is harassing her daughter and will do anything to help her, bringing them closer together again. As the hundreds of texts become more threatening, Mia begins to wonder if her tormentor is someone closer than she could have ever imagined. Delilah Hamlin appears in the movie as Mia’s friend Summer.
 https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/mommy-meanest
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31122279/
Meh - I'm not looking forward to this. But I have already seen Lifetime's Sunday night offering, so I'll probably at least watch this one...

A Whitewater Romance     (movie)        (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
 Maya attends an exclusive business retreat in the Rocky Mountains where she meets Matt who, initially, is her competitor. As they're forced to pair up, an unlikely connection begins to evolve. Stars Cindy Busby and Benjamin Hollingsworth.
Gah! - Busby is so awful in the Hallmark "romances". Please get her back to the Lifetime thrillers, which she was actually pretty good at!!

         Sunday, May 12
  Blood, Sweat, and Cheer   (movie; linear TV premiere)     (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
 Former cheerleader Renee tries to recapture her glory days by living vicariously through her teen daughter Cherie. Their strained relationship sours when Cherie quits her school’s dance team and moves in with her father. Realizing she can pass for a teenager,
She can't, trust me! - There was a time when Tammin Sursok might have been able to pass for a teenager, but she definitely can't by now!!

Renee enrolls in a new high school under Cherie’s name and joins the dance team to compete in the upcoming Fall Dance Classic to win Cherie a college scholarship. But as Renee’s lies spiral, her mounting deceptions become increasingly hard to pull off. Could Renee’s frantic efforts to keep up her elaborate ruse eventually lead to murder? Stars Tammin Sursok, Monroe Cline, John Paul Kakos and Andrew R. Shaw. This is a 2023 Tubi Original. (And this may be the first time the Lifetime Channel has passed off a Tubi Original as a premiere; LMN has done so several times now.)
It likely won't be the last - e.g. see Fri's WDYW? thread with my review of Tubi's "Deadly Invitations": I am betting good money that "Deadly Invitations" will go to Lifetime as well, sooner rather than later.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/blood-sweat-and-cheer
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22527474/
 https://tubitv.com/movies/100000963/blood-sweat-and-cheer
I've already seen this one off Tubi, and it's not really worth a rewatch, so passing on this.

Interview With the Vampire         (season 2 premiere)           (9 pm, AMC)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wT4QihIavo
 https://www.metacritic.com/tv/interview-with-the-vampire/season-2/ [score 91]
Meh.

         Monday, May 13
       Streaming:
  TMZ No BS: Hollywood Brawlers      (reality)        (3:01 am, Tubi)
 TMZ explores the notable moments in pop culture when celebrities engage in physical altercations, both amongst themselves and the public.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwaFJK7w_PU
Stay classy, Tubi and TMZ!!  ;p

     Broadcast and cable:
  Celebrity Wheel of Fortune         (season 4 finale; renewed for season 5)        (9 pm, ABC)
Who are the "stars" this time?...

         Tuesday, May 14
       Streaming:
  The Killing Kind          [new to US; complete limited series] (12:01 am, Hulu)
 "The Killing Kind" centers on a barrister, Ingrid Lewis (Emma Appleton), who defends John Webster (Colin Morgan) against stalking charges, only for Webster to turn on her. This six-episode thriller adapted from the Jane Casey book was originally ordered by Paramount+ (and actually streamed on that service in the UK last year) before being discarded in a cost-cutting move.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhr5D2Z_5M
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14728854/       [rating 5.7]
Meh. I like Appleton, but not enough to watch a series like this...

     Broadcast and cable:
  Hostage Rescue        [new]           (9 pm, CW)
 Life and death hang in the balance for hostages held in captivity both in the United States and abroad. "Hostage Rescue" tells the real-life stories of these hostages in peril and the brave heroes who risk everything to save them. Rescheduled from April.
 https://www.cwtv.com/shows/hostage-rescue/
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31975922/
Oh, CW - just *die* already!!

         Wednesday, May 15
       Streaming:
  Queen Rock Montreal        (documentary)        (3:01 am, Disney+)
 The iconic rock band Queen performs their best hits like "We Will Rock You, " "Somebody To Love, " and "Bohemian Rhapsody" in an unforgettable concert. Recorded in Montreal in January. 1h 35m.
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30973483/
So, this is post-Freddie Mercury, isn't it?...  :/

A Stranger's Child     (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
 Donna wakes up in the hospital with amnesia and a baby. At the same time news breaks of a kidnapped baby causing Donna to question if the baby is hers. Stars Jessica Lowndes, Zibby Allen, Brad Harder, Clayton James and Justin Lacey. 1 hr 28 min.
 https://tubitv.com/movies/100021106/a-stranger-s-child
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32082861/
Ooo. Good cast and premise - I'll probably check this out!

         Thursday, May 16
       Streaming:
  Outer Range        (season 2 premiere)         (12:01 am, Prime Video)
 A rancher fighting for his land and family discovers an unfathomable mystery at the edge of Wyoming's wilderness. Josh Brolin stars; seven episodes.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkDdTMZh14
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11685912/       [rating 7.1]
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09PWNBFJC/
You tend to forget that this one ever existed...

The Beauty Queen Killer: 9 Days of Terror     [new; complete limited series]          (12:01 am, Hulu)
 In 1984, 16-year-old Tina Risico is kidnapped by a killer who takes her on a hellish road trip ­ and forces her to participate in a brutal crime. Three episodes.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWNE8KCZkM
 https://www.hulu.com/series/the-beauty-queen-killer-9-days-of-terror-3aed435c-4b8e-4f5d-8565-c971607506b7
Damn - as a (scripted) movie, I definitely would have watched this.

Bridgerton          (season 3 premiere)           (3:01 am, Netflix)
 Eight episodes; four stream today and the remaining four on June 13.
F***, NO!!

Home Sweet Rome!       [new to US]        (3:01 am, Max)
 This charming new series follows the story of 13-year-old Lucy, played by Kensington Tallman (Inside Out 2, That Girl Lay Lay), a spirited teenager who leaves California behind to start a new life in Rome with her dad (Darrin Rose) and Italian pop sensation stepmom Francesca (Eleonora Facchini). 13 half-hour episodes.
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20215742/
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPJVfEt1KA
Wait. I'm sorry - *who* was this made for?! Was it actually "direct-to-Max"?!!
(OK, now, looking at this, this was released in 2023. But it's not clear who this originated with...)

     Broadcast and cable:
  My Nanny Stole My Life     (movie)      (8 pm, LMN)
 A new mother begins to suspect that her nanny is scheming to steal her baby and her husband­-but no one believes her due to the postpartum depression she suffered after the child was born. Stars Katerina Eichenberger, Caroline Codd, and Jonathan Stoddard. Originally titled "She Wants My Baby."
 https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/my-nanny-stole-my-life
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23863506/
Yes, will watch.
(And Robin can thank me for adding the current title of this film, and several upcoming Lifetime flicks, to IMDb for her!!  ;>  )

         Friday, May 17
       Streaming:
  99        [new; complete limited series]         (12:01 am, Prime Video)
 Tells the remarkable story of how, in 1999, Manchester United made football history by winning the Premier League, FA Cup, and UEFA Champions League.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvH1fmS-TWw
:/

Killer Body Count     (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
 Mistaken as a sex addict by her dad, Cami is sent off to a remote religious treatment center where the other kids are being hunted by a killer. Stars Alex McGregor [as Cami?], Cassiel Eatock-Winnik, Savana Tardieu, Khosi Ngema and Bjorn Steinbach. 1 hr 50 min.  [Three Tubi Originals this week? Good for Tubi for putting them on the website in advance so we know more about them.]
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31777553/
 https://tubitv.com/movies/100019969/killer-body-count
OK:
1) Alex McGregor is no "kid"!
2) Alex McGregor *again* (in just a week!)
3) IMDb claims that this is Canadian, but I'll bet it was also filmed in South Africa.
4) What a weird premise!!
And, yes, I'm sure I will check this out at some point!

Nightwatch: Demons Are Forever         (movie)         (3:01 am, Shudder)
 Emma takes on a night watch job to unravel the mystery of her parents' disappearance nearly thirty years ago. But when she confronts serial killer Wörmer in his cell, she awakens him from a coma, triggering a series of catastrophic events. A (Danish) sequel to the 1994 Danish film "Nightwatch." 1h 50m.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R42IuN-akdI
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6318608/     [rating 6.1]
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110631/     [1994 film; rating 7.2]
OK, 1) a sequel 30-years later?! And 2) Nobody gets The Shudder! (I don't care what BTR claims!!)

     Broadcast and cable:
  S.W.A.T.      (season 7 finale; renewed for season 8)        (8 pm, CBS)
You mean "uncancelled for a second time"!!  ;p

Family Practice Mysteries: Coming Home      (movie; linear TV premiere)        (9 pm, Hallmark Mystery)
 A former Army surgeon moves back to her hometown and joins a practice of family doctors, but when she's drawn into solving the mysterious death of a patient, her quiet life becomes upended. Stars Amanda Schull and Brendan Penny. Premiered on May 2 on the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service. [The next premiere on Hallmark Mystery appears to be "Tipline Mysteries: Dial 1 for Murder" on Friday, June 7.]
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32150887/
 https://www.hallmarkmystery.com/family-practice-mysteries-coming-home
Amanda Schull deserves better than this.

 (end)