Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-19 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-19 (Sunday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 20. May 2024, 17:52:55
On 5/20/2024 7:45 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
On 5/20/2024 6:35 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

What did you watch?

None of that schmaltzy, heart-warming murder stuff.  :P
 More airborne canines
Dogfights - Long Odds  (disc)
Some aerial combats where the bombers won.
 Dogfights - Dogfights of the Middle East (disc)
Various combats in the Arab-Israeli Wars.
 Dogfights - Hunt for the Bismarck (disc)
"Sink the Bismarck!" with World War 1 era biplanes.
  And that finished the season 1 set.
   What Did You Watch?

I watched:
Prey (4K disc) 2022 Prequel to "Predator."  Set in the 1700s, a Comanche tribe must go toe to toe with an alien Predator.  The Predator is tough, but the Comanche are firm believers of if it bleeds, you can kill it.  I love one of the details is that one of the characters in this movie is named Raphael Adolini.  He has a gun with his name engraved on it.  When the Predator kills him, it takes Adolini's gun.
Predator (4K disc) 1987 movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as leader of a special forces team that are so tough, they don't even have time to bleed.  They are hunted one by one by an alien Predator until Schwarzenegger declares if it bleeds you can kill it.
Predator 2 (4K disc) 1990 sequel which this time has Danny Glover going toe to toe with an alien Predator.  Bill Paxton costars as a wisecracking comic relief character whose killed by the alien Predator. At the end of the movie when Glover wins one of the Predators gives him a trophy.  It's a gun from the 1700s with the name Raphael Adolini engraved on it.
It pained me a bit, but I decided to skip the other movies in the franchise (and I skipped "Near Dark" which I also planned to watch) and jumped straight to Aliens.
Aliens (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by James Cameron and starring Sigourney Weaver who must once again battle aliens that prey on people. Bill Paxton costars as a wisecracking comic relief character whose killed by the Alien predator.  This is the new extremely controversial 4K release.  First the elephant in the room.  How does this much talked about new 4K print look.  I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.  But if you like film grain then watching this new 4K image will make you shout out kill it with fire until it's dead.  If you don't care about film grain, then your reaction will probably be I've never seen Aliens look this good before in my life.  Not even in the theater.  I'll just say, I didn't know it was possible to make a grainy movie from the 80s look like a new glossy movie filmed in the 2020s.  But somehow, they pulled it off.  Anyway, this was the special edition cut which is the only cut worth watching.  The movie holds up great.
True Lies (4K disc) 1994 spy comedy directed by James Cameron and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as a spy who must save the world.  Jamie Lee Curtis co-stars as his wife who gets mixed up in his latest spy caper.  A very young Eliza Dushku co-stars as their daughter who is also reluctantly mixed up in his latest caper.  And Bill Paxton costars as a wisecracking comic relief character.  I have not watched this movie in decades.  I was very eager to finally see it again.  I don't care how glossy this new 4K transfer is, I'm just glad I could finally watch the movie again!  Although while watching I was also aware that Dushku, who was only 12 when the movie was made, has made allegations that she was molested by the stunt coordinator and at the time she did say something about and the next day was seriously injured during a stunt that the guy was responsible for setting up.  I have to ask why after she came forward with the allegations was he allowed anywhere near her?  And why didn't anything happen to him at the time, especially after she was seriously injured after making the allegations?