Re: Matt Walsh denigrates academic elites

Sujet : Re: Matt Walsh denigrates academic elites
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 08. Jun 2024, 03:28:04
On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 16:58:51 -0000 (UTC)
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Decolonize math!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_phzvlYlQ

We had a bridge collapse in rural Saskatchewan a year or two back. It
collapsed within hours of opening! Fortunately, no one was hurt. (The
article I read gave me the impression that it just fell spontaneously,
not as a result of an overly-heavy vehicle crossing it or colliding
with it.) The engineer who built it was apparently a fully-qualified
professional engineer but the article did not say what school he'd gone
to or how long ago so it's not clear if his school was "decolonized" at
the time. Maybe he was just incompetent and his school was not at
fault. Anyway, he was suspended from working in Saskatchewan for a
few months before being reinstated. (He continued working in other
jurisdictions while suspended in Saskatchewan.) To his credit, he gave
a half million dollars of his own money to the province, apparently as
compensation for his errors.  I believe that in order to be reinstated,
he had to agree to be supervised by another engineer for bridge
building projects for several months. So, basically, he got a very
light slap on the wrist.

I guess we'd better get ready for more such incidents as the termites
continue hollowing out our institutions, particularly the STEM
subjects.

--
Rhino