Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-09 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-09 (Sunday)
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 10. Jun 2024, 19:30:25
On 6/10/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

I watched:
 HARD TO FIND!!! Is this RARE bad movie worth it?? - Guns & Lipstick (1995):
On this episode of Weird Movies With Mark, I talk about a movie that took me
a while to get a copy of. It's the story of how a private investigator gets
caught up in the middle of the search for a valuable stone but it's just not
that interesting. It's Guns & Lipstick (1995)
https://youtu.be/qDhfNrtDIx4?si=xVI0sQkQjU3yTEhv
This actually has a fun cast. But it's only got a 3.8/10 on IMDb (and just ~150 votes), which is definitely not a good sign.

What did you watch?
Yesterday, I finished off "Maxton Hall" (season #1), golf, a Lifetime flick and a low-budget "thriller" starring Lifetime's Revell Carpenter!!:
Maxton Hall (Prime) - In the original German! (with English subtitles).
    Season #1 is only 6 episodes, so I only needed to get through 5 more 45-minute episodes yesterday to binge it out, so I decided to bite the bullet and finish the series on Sunday.
    This show is pretty bingeable if you are OK with YA romance schlock - at least it looks good, the leads are attractive (and the "handsome rich boy's" sister is even more attractive!). There are twists and turns along the way - including a reversion to asshole form from "handsome rich boy", which again caused me to question why we should want these two to get together! (Yeah, there are extenuating circumstances and reasons - but he's still an asshole!)
    The series does luck out by having a good villain - the "handsome rich boy's" father is a real piece of work (almost supervillain territory!). The series wouldn't be as enjoyable without the strong villain.
    We do finally get to the hott sexx!!1! in the season finale - and this being European (German), we actually do get some naked nudity out of this! (If this were an American YA romance series, there wouldn't be a hint of nudity - outside of possible a dude ass shot!)
    At the end, there's a plot development (it's not exactly a "twist") that I didn't see coming, which I guess will set up a season #2.
    I can't imagine this one going more than two seasons - season #3 would be in college, and it wouldn't be "Maxton Hall" anymore!
golf - Well, it went down to the final hole on the Memorial, but Scottie Scheffler never relinquished the lead to Collin Morikawa, so Morikawa had to settle for second place. Canuck Adam Hadwin fell off through the back-9, but managed to hold on to solo third.
Gaslit by My Husband: The Morgan Metzer Story (Lifetime) - OK, now I see why they put this on Sunday night instead of Saturday night, despite starring Jana Kramer - this wasn't very good.
    Kramer stars as a woman married to a narcissist (Austin Nichols). In the film's open their baby dies after birth. But they soon have twins. Over time, the husband becomes more erratic and abusive. But he's "clever" - he keeps turning around the abuse, and making it look like the wife is unstable and instigating it.
    Unfortunately, that sounds more interesting than the film that was executed here.
    It takes Kramer's character way too long to catch on, and she gets basically zero support from friends and family (including her bestie who straight up knew that the husband was slapping her around), which strained my suspension of disbelief.
    The ending is kind of good - the husband (now ex-husband!) stages a home invasion robbery so he can beat the crap out of her when she rejects him yet again, but she catches on during the assault and tricks him by professing her "love" for her husband to the "intruder". So the intruder" beats it out of there, and then the ex-husband just manages to show up immediately after!?!
    Then the uniformed cops show up, and she slyly lets them know that the ex-husband was actually the intruder/assaulter, and the cops who show up actually play it cool and sly, to gather evidence of his guilt, before taking him down. This scene was a nice change of pace for Lifetime which usually portrays cops as either indifferent, incompetent or actually complicit!!
Follower (Tubi) - A (very!) low-budget "thriller" from 2022 starring (Lifetime's) Revell Carpenter, Gigi James and Molly Leach as three young women who go hiking/camping in the Nevada while being stalked by an online "hunter" group called the Wolf Pack - particularly one individual stalker (with a crossbow).
    Eventually, some violent mayhem ensues. (And, of course, the main stalker is a garden variety misogynist!)
    This barely clocks in at 60 minutes, so it's quick.
    It's OK for what it was.
    Apparently, there's a 2024 sequel called "Followers" (whose IMDb entry I may have screwed up without realizing it - oops!!) - I guess if that comes to Tubi, I will check it out.
What did you watch?