Re: Selected programming for June 22-25, 2024

Sujet : Re: Selected programming for June 22-25, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 23. Jun 2024, 00:36:50
On 6/22/24 2:00 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

RM: The programming list for the second half of the week will be released later today.
            Previously released:
  Aftersun       (movie)           (Netflix, June 21)
 Through real and imagined memories, Sophie recalls her efforts to bond with her unknowable dad on a father-daughter trip to Turkey 20 years earlier. 2022 British film starring Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio, and Celia Rowlson-Hall. 1h 42m.
Damn. This was on another streamer (Max, maybe?...). If it's now on The Netflix, I've probably lost my window to watch it.

         Saturday, June 22
  The Bad Orphan      (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
 The psychological drama centers on Jessica (Betsy Brandt) and Karl (Mark Taylor), loving parents to Rhiannon (Eve Edwards), who after years of trying to add to their family are elated to adopt Gabby (Chloe Coco Chapman), an 8-year-old orphan born with personal challenges. Their ideas of a perfect family come into question when they discover that Gabby is a troubled little girl, and the family begins to believe things aren’t what they seem. As the unsettling behavior of their “child” worsens and lies are uncovered, cracks in the family dynamic form with Jessica becoming increasingly concerned that adopted daughter Gabby is a threat to their family.
I think I may skip this - I've been binging "Daisy Jones & The Six" today, and I may just finish it out. (All 10 episodes!!)

Two Scoops of Italy     (movie)        (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
 When an American chef travels to a quaint village in Italy for inspiration, she falls in love with the flavors, culture, gelato, and the Italian gentleman who helps her discover it all. Stars Hunter King and Michele Rosiello.
 https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/two-scoops-of-italy
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32422182/
Does Hunter King really want to be tied to Hallmark?! She's a little young for that. Hell, even Jocelyn Hudon got herself out!

Note: The movie "Continental Split" was originally scheduled to premiere today on Tubi, but it has been pushed to June 29.
Boo!!

         Sunday, June 23
  TMZ Presents: Famous & Naked      (special)        (3:01 am, Tubi)
 Celebrities are showing it all online and raking in fortunes. Join TMZ in examining Hollywood’s fascination with getting naked on the Internet. One hour.
I bet Anim is right: no actual nudity here!!

Discovering Love      (movie)        (7 pm, UPtv)
 An archeology professor must team up with a dig-first-ask-questions-later treasure hunter to find the long-lost crown of Helen of Troy. Stars Liliana Tandon and Tim Rogan. [This appears to be the actual premiere of this film.]
I actually know who Tandon is, but I have no interest in this one.

Devil on Campus: The Larry Ray Story     (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
 When ex-convict Larry Ray (Billy Zane) unexpectedly moves into his daughter’s dorm, he enthralls her friends with conversations and promises to help them with personal transformations by preying on their insecurities and fears. Under Ray’s influence, the students uncover false memories of childhood trauma that Ray uses to further alienate them from their families. As the students continue to fall under Ray’s control, he begins to target their friends and family, extending his reach of emotional, financial, sexual abuse and mental manipulation. As the students get pulled deeper into the cult, Ray’s control moves from emotional and mental to sexual as well, creating a web of lies and deceit. Tedra Rogers, Frankie Warren, Alexis Sides, Erin Walsh, and Elizabeth Röhm co-star.
 https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story
 https://play.mylifetime.com/movies/devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story/preview-devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32094258/
Will watch.

Billy the Kid       (season 2 finale)        (9 pm, MGM+)
Nobody gets MGM+!!  ;p

When Calls the Heart       (season 11 finale; renewed for season 12)  (9 pm, Hallmark Channel)
[sigh]

Orphan Black: Echoes         [new]           (10 pm, AMC/BBC America)
 Set in the same world as "Orphan Black," which ended its five-season run in 2017, "Echoes" comes from a different writer (Anna Fishko, Fear the Walking Dead), though original series co-creator John Fawcett is on board as a producer and director. Another key change: The new series features an all-new cast and characters as it jumps forward in time to the year 2052, when a mysterious new cloning experiment leaves a group of women attempting to figure out who they are. Krysten Ritter heads a cast that also includes Keeley Hawes, James Hiroyuki Liao, Rya Kihlstedt, and Reed Diamond.
[snip]
 Ten episodes running through August 25. The entire series will be shown on both AMC and BBC America.
The original was such a mess that not even Maslany could save it. So there's no way I'm watching this just for Krysten Ritter.

         Monday, June 24
       Streaming:
  Out of Darkness    (movie; streaming premiere)        (3:01 am, Paramount+)
 In the Old Stone Age, a disparate gang of early humans band together in search of a new land. But when they suspect a malevolent, mystical being is hunting them down, the clan is forced to confront a danger they never envisioned. 2022 film; 1h 28m.
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7527682/   [rating 5.5]
Hmmmm.... Looks like it was a UK film. I may check this out - it's "horror" afterall!!

         Tuesday, June 25
       Streaming:
  I Am: Celine Dion     (documentary)        (12:01 am, Prime Video)
 This is a journey inside Celine Dion's life as she reveals her battle with Stiff Person Syndrome. 1h 42m.
All for Anim!!  ;p

TikTok Star Murders        (reality special)        (3:01 am, Peacock)
Dang - I was hoping this was either an original Tubi or Lifetime flick, not some doc!!
So, not a great start to the week...