Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-23 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-23 (Sunday)
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 24. Jun 2024, 22:26:31
On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 13:16:04 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

On 6/24/2024 10:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 6/24/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

What did you watch?

I mostly took it easy yesterday - I only got through one flick off Tubi,
and one Lifetime flick. However, I did go back to start up a series I
couldn't watch/finish before:

School Spirits (Pee+) - So a few days ago, I saw an article about the
filming of the second season of "School Spirits". And then yesterday I
was sitting around trying to figure out what streaming series I would
watch next (after having finished "Daisy Jones & The Six" in a single
day!!), and then I realized - "Hey! I have Pee+! - I can go back and
watch "School Spirits" now!!"
    So, I rewatched the pilot, which I had seen before (they ran just
the pilot on Paramount Network once, and I DVR'ed it), and then later in
the day watched episode #1.2.
    I feel like Arthur mentioned this, but their "rules for ghosts" are
all over the place! Where are they getting paper to write on?! Where did
the donuts come from?!!

I don't think I've ever watched this before.  You're probably thinking
of "Dead Boy Detectives" on Netflix.  That was a pretty good show and it
is in the same universe with "The Sandman" and even shared some
characters/actors.

It's a good show with a surprise setup for the second season. Going to
be a long wait for the second season if filming is going on this
summer.

    At the end of the pilot, Maddie's (Peyton List The Younger) bestie
Simon (Kristian Flores) is able to see her, despite no living person
ever seeing any of the other ghosts on campus.
    Episode #2 picks up with Maddie and Simon rather arbitrarily
deciding that Maddie's boyfriend (Spencer MacPherson) is the one who
killed her, just because he's a cheater, and trying to gather evidence
to prove this, but we know in any mystery series that the first
"suspect" is always a red herring, so there's no way he did it.
    Hopefully, they get to some other suspects in ep. #3.

What did you watch?

This is a multi-day catch up.  I watched:

Superman: Man of Tomorrow (blu-ray) 2020 DC animated movie. 17th movie
in the DCAMU and the first movie in the "Tomorrowverse" after they
rebooted the series following "Justice League Dark: Apokolips War."
This reboot follows Clark Kent (Darren Criss) as he moves to Metropolis,
meets Lois Lane (Aleaxndra Daddario) and eventually takes on the
Superman persona.  During this time he battles Lobo and Parasite.  Lex
Luthor (Zachary Quinto) also causes some trouble.  I guess it was OK.
As I recall I hated the animated style the first time I saw this.  This
time around I guess I just didn't like it.  I just don't get why they
would do such a serious downgrade in the animation making it look so cheap.

Ghost in the Shell (4K disc) 1995 Japanese animated movie that has been
heavily ripped off by many movies since, with "The Matrix" being exhibit
A.  The plot involves a secret police force headed by a cyborg cop
called "Major" going after a terrorist who as the Puppet Master who can
hack into people.  Anyway, the movie continues to hold up very well.

Ghost in the Shell (3D blu-ray) 2017 live action remake of the classic
Japanese film.  Scarlett Johansson stars as "Major," a cyborg cop who is
after a terrorist hacker.  This movie has all the same major set pieces
as the original Japanese version, but changes the plot.  It's weird
watching it back to back with the animated version and seeing all the
same stuff happen, but for slightly different reasons.  And for the
first time, I think I might actually prefer the live action version.
All the subtle changes used to annoy me, but I'm OK with them now.

I enjoyed both versions of the subject. Though I preferred the
original Japanese version more.

The Lazarus Project - I think this was episode 3.  Episodes titles would
help a lot!  I am becoming increasing annoyed with the main hero who is
in a time travel show but complains about time travel and apparently was
not familiar with the concept of a causal loop.

Good, the plan is working if you are annoyed with the main character.
lol.