Re: "The Acolyte" Actress Sings About Being Oppressed

Sujet : Re: "The Acolyte" Actress Sings About Being Oppressed
De : john (at) *nospam* hamiltonhall.info (john)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.tv rec.arts.tv rec.arts.starwars rec.arts.disney.misc rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
Date : 25. Jun 2024, 11:25:53
In article <v5brie$ujre$2@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:

"Star Wars" actress Amandla Stenberg released a video of herself singing
about being oppressed.

On Wednesday, the 25-year-old star of the new spinoff series "The Acolyte"
posted the song to her 2.3 million followers on Instagram, calling it a
response to the "discourse."

Stenberg wrote in the caption, "Happy Juneteenth and to those who are
flooding me with intolerable racism -- since it took me 72 hours on my laptop
to make this song and video, u got 72 hours to respond. and I expect
choreo!!"

The song opens with the actress dancing as the word "discourse" is flashed on
the screen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8aorYEx2ZQ/

"I'm going viral on Twitter again. Open up the news to find some interesting
things. 20 million views. Interview from 2018 with Trevor the King when I was
thirteen," the lyrics say. This seems to refer to a clip that went viral from
an interview she did with Trevor Noah when she was 20 years old.

Stenberg sings, "I was running from city to city to speak on a story, you
know the one, police murdering a black boy. My people cried in the theaters
finding release. White people cried. They could see us as human beings.
Trevor ask what I want the people to know. I say white people crying was the
goal. If they could take one thing what would it be? I say empathy. Ooooo
that's why they mad at me?"

The song goes on, "They splice lines, make hate they recognize, make it look
like the same propaganda they spew 'cause they conflate our pain with
violence and try to weaponize everything that we do. The desperation of
oppressors is rising and now they holding onto any ole thing they can use. If
you rely upon misinformation then that tells me you afraid of the truth."

Then the line "We so bored, don't f*** with your discourse" is repeated over
and over.

Stenberg's song dishes up more anger in the next lines. "And now you
listening imma tell you something fascinating. They spinning woke. Bastardize
it and appropriate it. Last I recall woke was something we created. Speak
truth to power. Keep an eye out for you silly racists. And now they use it to
describe anything they threatened by. Remember when Gambino put it in the
zeitgeist? It was all about the people recognizing bigotry. The power of
community not fodder for your clickbait."

She adds, "Speaking of which, journalists I'm looking at you. Did you forget
it's your job to provide the truth? Spreading divisiveness, mining the
metrics and data, seems you gave up all your ethics for money and views. And
I can tell that the people are tired and the kids don't trust anything that
they view. We can learn something from their discernment. The future's coming
and it's always the youth," the actress sings.

Stenberg concludes, "My sis said don't let it get to my spirit, but I'm sick
and f***ing tired of suppressing my rage. 400 years of taking their bulls**t
to compartmentalize like my ancestors had to encaged? If you don't confront
the pain that you live with, it'll manifest as addiction diseases and hate.
I've seen the infection repression can give ya. I'm not gonna be the next one
sent to an early grave."

I love that the half Danish woman, who attended an exclusive private school
beginning at age 10, who has lived in the lap of luxury while enjoying the
most privileged lifestyle imaginable, is lecturing people who didn't enjoy
her TV show about their supposed issues. This ridiculous character is
torpedoing her own career faster than Rachel Ziegler, and that's saying
something.