Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-27 (Thursday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-27 (Thursday)
De : dtravel (at) *nospam* sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 29. Jun 2024, 17:02:25
On 6/29/2024 7:30 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
On 6/28/2024 10:37 PM, shawn wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 16:14:29 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

On 6/28/2024 2:22 PM, shawn wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 14:14:42 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <v5n7l5$3goq7$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

A Quiet Place: Day One (theatrical) Prequel and third movie in the Quite
place franchise. This one shows the events of the Aliens arrival on
Earth. One of the things I hate about zombie apocalypse movies where
the Earth is overrun by zombies is there's no plausible way that the
zombies could overtake humanity. Similarly one of the things that
bugged my about the Quiet Place movies is there was never a plausible
way the aliens could overtake humanity.

If there were a lot of these things, I could see them doing it. They're
too big, strong, and fast to fight with individual troops, assuming
humanity could even muster the troops fast enough, but they're not large
enough to take on with things like missiles and nukes, at least not
without nuking a large part of humanity along with them.

I would like to see how tanks fare against them.

So would I!!!  You know what they should do, make a prequel.  Maybe call
it something like A Quiet Place: Day One, then show what happens when
the aliens first come to Earth.  And in that movie, they could show what
happens when the aliens fight a tank.  Just saying...

I had a vague memory that maybe they were bullet proof.  But in this
movie, no one, ever shoots them!  Not the military, not the police, not
random New Yorkers who you would expect to be packing...  New York is
famously a city where no one has a gun.  I guess that's why the lead
character had to go to sleep for a few hours then wake up once the
fighting was over.  Then when I watched the first movie, they pulled out
a shot gun, so presumably bullets do work. And what about fire?  Nerve
gas?  They sure figured out they can't swim fast enough.  Turn a fire
hose on them and see what happens.

  Are they strong enough
to defeat a tank's armor and/or overturn it? Because if not, that's
about the only thing that could stand toe-to-toe with one long enough to
put effective fire on it.

This movie promised to deliver
that answer. Instead the aliens show up. The main character hits her
head or something and is unconscious for a few *hours* at best, then
when she awakes the aliens have already overtaken humanity. There are
millions of people in New York City yet they all magically disappeared
per plot. And now somehow the entire city is totally silent except for
when the plot demands someone make a sound then that's the only sound.
And the aliens who were no where to be found suddenly all converge on
that location. I was really expecting more from this movie but it's
more of the same. But I guess fans of the first two who aren't
expecting any real answers should like it.

My problem with the whole premise of the franchise is that these aliens
seem to instantly home in on any sound so long as the sound is made by a
person. Nature is naturally full of all sorts of sounds, which you would
think would constantly drive the creatures nuts trying to attack and
kill the birds that are flying overhead cawing or the ocean breakers
crashing on the shoreline or the trees rubbing together in the wind. But
none of that bothers or attracts them. The moment a human so much as
snaps a twig underfoot, suddenly these beasts are streaking toward them
to attack.

It would have to be even worse in a city like New York.  How would the
aliens even differentiate human from mechanical sound.  How would people
even figure out that they are attracted by noise when there are so many
other sounds at the same time conveniently being ignored?

So they only hunted by sound? Haven't seen the movies so I don't know.

 I don't think the aliens even have eyes.  That part is not entirely clear.  People are often standing out in the open then a slight sound and the aliens instantly know where the person is located.  The way it's shown the alien ninja jump out of nowhere and tackle the person so it's unclear if the alien would spot the person if they moved somewhere else.   The aliens never go after the other humans standing nearby unless those humans start to make noise.

I wish Clod was still around to explain how sound works like electricity
and the aliens are only attracted to artificial sound, not natural sound.

If so imagine setting up a swarm of drones flying around. Going to be
hard to track down the humans when there are many drones buzzing
around in the air where the aliens could see/hear them but not be able
to reach them.

I kept waiting for something like that to happen.  I don't understand
why the military didn't just herd the aliens to a location using sound
then kill them.

I like the idea I saw in an episode of Z Nation where they herded an
entire hoard of Z's over the Grand Canyon. Certainly something similar
could be done with aliens. Any near the Niagara Falls should be
completely confused and easy enough to guide over the falls.

Hell, if these aliens are so sensitive to sound why can't they use the
sonic weapons against them. I mean the sort that the military has like
the LRAD. Even at low levels that should be powerful enough to hurt
the aliens, let alone if the power was turned up.
  Yes, sonic weapons are eventually introduced in the sequel.  But it should have been introduced in the prequel.
 Something to be aware of since you've not watched the movies is the aliens are not technologically advanced. They are essentially wild animals let loose on Earth, I'm guessing by a more advance species to clear the planet for them.  They are big, fast, strong enough to easily knock over a car.  But no real intelligence or strategy.
 Imagine if someone dropped 1000 hungry lions in the middle of New York. They run amok and kill a lot of people, but people with guns would kill the lions and that would be that.  So far I have not seen any reason why the same couldn't happen with these aliens.
Because it is a horror movie?
--
I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky dirty old man.