Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-28 (Friday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-28 (Friday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 29. Jun 2024, 17:51:12
On 6/29/2024 8:01 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 6/29/24 7:22 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I watched worse than nothing as I suffered Ian‘s revenge for the short form
movies.

AGE OF THE LIVING DEAD (2018) Prime and Plex.

A.k.a. Era of the Living Dead

It’s a six episode miniseries about which almost nothing is known and what
is known is wrong. For instance, IMDb says there are three seasons of six
or seven episodes each but it’s pretty clear they only made one six episode
season. There’s also a video game that nothing is known about.
 You can't trust IMDb, no matter how much I try to "fix" it!!

IMDB just keeps getting worse and worse.

This is an absolutely dreadful incompetently made series that’s pretty much
like “hey kids let’s remake the strain with the grade school video club“

You may recall that I can’t stand the strain.

I got fed up and dumped the Strain early on.  I don't remember how much of it I suffered through before I gave up.

I am pretty sure this suffers from Defiling Gravity syndrome, where the
first and last episodes are written by one person and the rest is just
fill-in. Credits say the same guy wrote them all, but the credits are
standardized and identical for every episode so I suspect they lie.

10 years ago vampires somehow took over New York City and now there are 250
million of them occupying the East Coast of the United States from the
Atlantic to about Chicago. The 150 million remaining American humans live
pretty much in California. In between is a no man’s land, that works pretty
much like Star Trek where nobody’s allowed to go in it at all.  The
vampires haven’t leached over the Canadian or Mexican borders at all and
the British seem to think they don’t exist anywhere else in the world even
though many of them talk like a bad satire of Bela Lugosi and have been
around for hundreds or thousands of years.

[snip]

As all these weird storylines collide, the show doesn’t end it just stops.

The best thing I can say for it is it has several attractive actresses.
 That's the only reason I want to watch this, though I would probably "watch" this as pure background noise (e.g. while listening to music).

All shot in horrible handheld, constant shaky cam.

I watched:
Justice Society: World War II (4K disc) 2021 DC Animated movie.  I couldn't tell if this was a standalone or not, but Darren Criss was back to voice Superman so I'm assuming it's connected.  The plot of this one had The Flash helping Superman during a battle with Brainiac when Flash is suddenly transported to WWII where he teams up with a team of heroes lead by Wonder Woman.  It was pretty good.  I almost skipped it but I'm glad I didn't.
A Quiet Place Part II (4K disc) 2020 sequel which picks up where the first movie ended with a family on the run from aliens that hate noise. I wasn't sure at first, but this movie confirms the aliens are not bullet proof.  I misremembered them as being bullet proof but several times the aliens were killed by a regular gun.  This makes the military's inability to kill these suckers in the prequel even worse.
John Grissom's The Rainmaker (Showtime) 1997 movie starring Matt Damon as a young man fresh out of law school who gets a job working at a bar while waiting to take the bar exam.  But it turns out the bar's owner (Mickey Rourke) is also a crooked lawyer, and hires Damon for his small firm.  Danny DeVito also stars as the firm's paralegal who mentors Damon on his first big case going up against an insurance company that refuses to pay claims.  I'm sure I probably watched this back in 97 but I had no memory of the movie.  It was OK.
Death Wish 4: The Crackdown (Cinemax) Charles Bronson stars as a vigilante who is coerced into going after a drug gang.  I've been slowly making my way through this over the past few days. I guess it was OK. I'm not sure if I've ever watched Death Wish 3 or not, but the plot of this one seemed stand alone enough that it didn't matter.