Re: TV news for June 23-29, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for June 23-29, 2024
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 30. Jun 2024, 05:25:12
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 19:15:21 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

On 6/29/24 6:05 PM, shawn wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 17:55:07 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 16:26:04 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
On 6/29/24 2:46 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

Jeremy Renner Says He Doesn’t Have “Energy” To Play “Challenging” Roles
After Snow Plow Accident: “I Can’t Just Go Play Make-Believe Right Now”
(June 25)

https://deadline.com/2024/06/jeremy-renner-energy-challenging-roles-snow-plow-accident-1235983221/

Yeah - dude will never be the same, no doubt.

Sad, but bad accidents do happen. The good thing is he's already had a
good career as an action hero so now he can take on more sedate roles.

It’s not like Marvel is making action hero movies anymore anyway. Certainly
not with white men.

True, they do seem to have a focus on women now for their action hero
movies. I wonder how that is working out for them.

It's actually not a bad idea if they had good stories/writing and had
some compelling actors. So far they've managed to fail on all
accounts. I thought they had a great concept with MS MARVEL if they
had stuck with the new hero trying to come grips with her powers and
how it changes her life. Then the writers feared they wouldn't get a
second season to tell their story so they rushed the character
development (she went from barely being able to use her powers to
doing all sorts of stunts in just the course of a day or two) and
pushed the story to Pakistan so they could bring up the
Indian/Pakistan history. Oh, and they introduced the coolest character
in the leader of the Red Band only to kill him off shortly after we
met him.

All of which would have been fine if it had played out over a second
season but it was a massive shift in tone and the style of the story
telling (lot's of anime/cartoon scenes in the first three episodes
that kept it light hearted. That disappeared after those episodes.)

The only new "female action hero" from MCU that I trust/am psyched about
is Hailee Steinfeld, and that's just because we know she's good (past
performances and all that).

Oh, and I guess Florence Pugh, though she's not exactly a "hero".

I like Florence Pugh in her role in the MCU but I don't see her being
put into the main cast of the MCU at this point. Though she may get
her own movies which is good for her.

Ms. Marvel might be OK. Maybe.

But I don't like any of the rest, not even Kathryn Newton who is great
in other stuff but seems massively miscast and out of her depth here.
(Really makes you wonder why the replaced Emma Fuhrmann because it
wasn't even a "trade up" in this case...)