Re: power shortages

Sujet : Re: power shortages
De : alien (at) *nospam* comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 09. Mar 2024, 07:42:13
On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Mar 2024 08:13:42 -0800) it happened John Larkin
<jl@997PotHill.com> wrote in <n2emui9ms7puul8i5k829l4batsd0bb08r@4ax.com>:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 16:01:56 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Mar 2024 07:09:39 -0800) it happened John Larkin
<jl@997PotHill.com> wrote in <ebamui94of6duifghmb6jnen11060l4dlv@4ax.com>:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:15:34 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:22:29 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <usela5$1jtre$1@dont-email.me>:

On 3/8/24 07:40, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Mar 2024 07:13:56 -0800) it happened John Larkin
<jl@997PotHill.com> wrote in <h8mjui5kf50de3tkplpf1e12k12r8dgl58@4ax.com>:

 https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amid-explosive-demand-america-is-running-out-of-power/ar-BB1jtM69

Increasing demand and declining reliable supply could put people in
the dark.
 Yesterday I was reading Netherlands gov has decided to build 4 new nuclear power plants.
They still have to find locations for 3, what if next doors?? ??

These are planned to be the --now old-fashioned-- Westinghouse
design? Big installations that need ten years to build?

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to start an industry of
small modular reactors. Tens of megawatts rather than hundreds,
Something that could fit on a barge, or a train, transported
where it's needed, and up and running in months rather than
years.

Yes, Russia has a ship with a nuclear power plant that powers some city somewhere,
no risk of flooding then :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_floating_nuclear_power_station OTOH ever more power is needed, so a big nuclear power plant makes sense.

Why not lots of smaller ones? They could be phased in incrementally,
quickly, where and when needed.

The politics are good. Do you want electricity? Find us a few acres
for an SMR.

The more the harder security is.
Some idiots a few days ago did set fire to a HV mast in Germany to prevent Tesla from expanding there.
It also cut power to some other large company and caused shortages.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/05/business/tesla-germany-factory-fire.html
 It would be cool if they got small fusion reactors working.
One for in each car?

So far, fusion doesn't look like it will work in anything smaller than
a star.
I am not sure, I have written here many times:
 "If you cannot do it with those tiny particles on the desktop,
  then you cannot do it with a machine the size of the universe"
Example, look up Farnsworth fusor:
 https://www.tue.nl/faculteit-technische-natuurkunde/onderzoek/onderzoeksgroepen/science-and-technology-of-nuclear-fusion-fusion/fusion-facilities/fusor
build one yourself:
 https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Build-a-Fusion-Reactor-and-Become-Part-of-t/
Highschool kids have done it too.
Fusion is not the problem, it is the break-even that needs to be improved
factor 10^6 too low for that Farnsworth fusor IIRC.
But who knows, I do see opportunities here to increase it
many have worked on that, I wanted to build one but its low efficiency, radiation, lack of space I have, kept me.

Cars work fine on gasoline, or almost even on batteries. It doesn't
make sense for a 100lb person to move 3 tons of steel with them to the
drugstore, but market forces will fix that.
Yes..