Re: using a pi 400 to debug a pico

Sujet : Re: using a pi 400 to debug a pico
De : jl (at) *nospam* 997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 09. Mar 2024, 19:24:48
On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 01:26:48 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

On 2024-01-18, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:16:29 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 11:02:40?AM UTC-8, john larkin wrote:

This is a first pass at the dev board.   https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/709v4pqjhe91jnwqh4wvg/Z566_Sch_2.jpg?rlkey=fjq3a9re53cv5l0zn9ya00akk&raw=1   It would be used in development and production test. Every RP2040-based board would have the small-pitch 20 pin ribbon cable header.

Why bother with pins, and ribbon connector insertion force?   Just print
test point pads, a few alignment holes, and make a plug of
spring pins.    It's not like you need this access while the unit is
bolted into its box and racked into a larger system.

Do it with two different diameter alignment pins, so it doesn't get
reversed.   A captive  nut to retain it would be useful, too.

Too much work!  We can buy the ribbon cables and connectors from
stock.

True, you'd have to order from digikey and wait a day to get such a
connector (tag connect)

we use the Tag Connect TC2030IDC connector intended for PIC programming to
program our ESP32 boards one end plugs right into the ESP-prog, no
modification is needed.

The price seems to have dropped recently, perhaps a patent has
expired, also I'm seeing Chinese clones now.
A 20 pin half-pitch ribbon cable would take, if anything, less board
area, and be less wobbly. And has 20 connections! I could use a 16 pin
ribbon connector, but I have plans for all 20. I want to do more than
just JTAG a CPU.