Re: OT: Where will it go?

Sujet : Re: OT: Where will it go?
De : bill.sloman (at) *nospam* ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 15:37:14
On 12/03/2024 11:22 pm, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically related to both parents
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm

Now where will it go?
 Read Huxley much?
Huxley's "Brave New World" didn't talk about that kind of reproductive engineering at all. The lower classes were deliberated messed up on the basis that it would have made them more biddable wage slaves, which is nonsense.
Robert Plombin's "Blueprint"
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/blueprint-9780141984261
reflects a better informed opinion of what we need to know to produce people who will do well in specific roles, but the main message is that we don't know nearly enough to have any hope of doing it.
We don't know enough about how people work to have any idea how a difference in a single nucleotide in our three billion nucleotide genome affects our capacities, and we do know that they differ at about a million sites in genome that are entirely human.
Anything gross enough to be easily measured - like years in education - turns out to slightly influenced by thousand of single genetic polymorphism, none with much of an effect.
The research reported wasn't aimed at doing anything of the kind - merely at more ways of getting more or less viable zygotes for people who can't produce egg and sperm cells in the usual way.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney