Re: Interesting inductor

Sujet : Re: Interesting inductor
De : jl (at) *nospam* 997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 14. Mar 2024, 16:51:20
On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:42:57 +0000, Clive Arthur
<clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

On 13/03/2024 22:43, john larkin wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:32:27 +0000, Clive Arthur
<clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

On 13/03/2024 04:18, John Larkin wrote:

<snip>

I'm hassling with inductors now too, but at the other end of the speed
spectrum.

We want a programmable inductor, from maybe 1 mH to 500 mH or so,
maybe 100 mA. Sounds like an inductive DAC, a series string of
inductors with shorting relays. If the step inductance ratio were,
say, 1.8:1 we could have some hidden bits, more than the customer
sees, so we could get pretty close to his requested value.

We could test all 2^n steps, make a list, and select the closest to
his request.

We're simulating loads to an engine control computer, torque motors
and solenoids and steppers.

Gyrator?

We just yesterday had a brainstorm session about that. How can one
make a programmable electronic fake inductor?

A real inductor stores energy, and can do things like high voltage
flyback. So a fake inductor should store energy, or pretend to. It
could be done with a current shunt, a fast ADC, some math in an FPGA,
a fast DAC, and a big power amplifier with big power supplies. Too
much work.

Yes, I got part way down the road of designing a gyrator to block
telemetry signals on a power line comms device.  Soon realised it would
need lots of power.

Just thinking out loud, and not really a serious suggestion, but would a
variac with a fixed inductor on the secondary work as a variable
inductor?  I guess 500:1 would be impossible.

There may be a cae for using a tapped transformer to front-end a
single inductor, or two. That would need thinking, not my favorite
activity at 7:30 in the morning.