Re: Laser Mouse

Sujet : Re: Laser Mouse
De : joegwinn (at) *nospam* comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 19. Apr 2024, 18:06:30
On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:58:12 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:43:16 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:06:19 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

If you have an Ikea desk and your LED optical mouse doesn't work right
(something about the optics of the varnish) this should fix it:

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRZ85DZ>

It was really annoying to be tweaking a PCB layout and having the
cursor wander around, or get stuck.

Probably the varnished wood has too little fine texture for
correlation tracking to work.

What I have been using with success is a "3M Precise Mouse Pad
Enhances the Precision of Optical Mice at Fast Speed, 9 in x 8 in
(MP114-BSD1)" for $8 from Amazon:

.<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2AN9PK>

Joe Gwinn

There must be a Mouse Pad Museum somewhere.

I have a pile somewhere.  Does that count?

A pad would be clumsy on my desk. I tried sanding the varnish a bit
but that didn't help.

Not enough contrast at high spatial frequencies.  Newer mouse probably
has higher resolution optics, so it sees the wood grain better, and
maybe the sandpaper frosting a little.

Does the old mouse work OK on a mouse pad?  Or on a piece of white
paper?  If so, what could work would be a random pattern of little
paint dots in or on the varnish.  Like from an airbrush too far away.

Joe Gwinn