Re: Strings that can vibrate forever (almost)

Sujet : Re: Strings that can vibrate forever (almost)
De : jeroen (at) *nospam* nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 25. May 2024, 10:36:43
On 5/25/24 07:04, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Thu, 23 May 2024 11:04:02 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v2n0m9$1m371$2@dont-email.me>:

On 5/23/24 07:08, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Strings that can vibrate forever (kind of)
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240522130402.htm
Source:
   Delft University of Technology
   than any previously known solid-state object -- approaching what is currently only achievable near absolute zero
   temperatures.
   Their study pushes the edge of nanotechnology and machine learning to make some of the world's most sensitive mechanical
   sensors.

Interesting for inertial navigation!

Mechanical 214 kHz resonator with a Q of 6.6 billion at room temperature
   see paper:
     figure 4

Interesting, indeed, but this looks *very* fragile!
 Yes, but maybe not enough free space to move so much it breaks?
As I understand it, if a string touches something, it tends to stick.
That was one of the problems that caused low yields in early devices.

 I just hope they used a Faraday cage and kept it away from other sources and their harmonics in the 214 kHz range.
Wallwarts! bats? some other piezo stuff.
With a Q > 1e9, coupling to outside influences is by definition
very weak. I don't see this thing becoming important as a low
noise oscillator element though. Pity. Maybe it's useful as a
precision thermometer.
Jeroen Belleman